Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a new kitchenaid gas range with a very loud cooling

I have a new kitchenaid gas range with a very loud cooling fan. Can it be disconnected or replaced with a quiter fan?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

This fan is notorious for that noise and the whole fan assembly can be replaced.

Robert :

Number 3 is the fan motor assy.

Robert :

The part number for the new assembly is(NNN) NNN-NNNN It is about 83 dollars at Sears here in the states.

Robert :

You will have to call Sears Canada to order it using that part number. Do you need the number for Sears?

Robert :

It is pretty easy to replace. You will have to pull the unit away from the wall and unplug it first.

Robert :

Then you can remove the back plate on the range and access the fan and components in that area.

Customer:

yes, but is ther a quiter unit available? eveythibg i rea says that this is very noisy fan

Customer:

does the fan need to be on? will it ruin the unit if oven if i disconnect altogeher?

Robert :

I have experienced that the replacement fan is alot better but can still be heard. If the fan is not on then the controls could overheat and short out. If that happens then you looking at a costly repair. It also help push excess heat out of the unit which keeps the thermal cutoff(fuse) from popping and the unit stopping completely.

Customer:

is there an after market fan or can i get a quiter fan othe than the kitchenaid unit?

Robert :

Let me look at that and see. I know this particular fan is not made by Whirlpool so that may be a possibility.

Robert :

I checked all of my suppliers and there is not a suitable aftermarket fan available. The one Supco fan they have is even louder than the current one on your unit from my experience.

Customer:

How noisy is the one you first mentioned in comparison?

Robert :

You can hear the air noise more than the motor because it is a squirrel cage design. They have improved the housing to cut down on the rattling noises you get. I also use rubber padding to absorb any other housing noises when I replace the motor. I usually put it under the edges where I attach the fan to the unit.

Customer:

It is not the housing.... the fan itself is loud

Customer:

The air noise is ok, it is the fan itself that is loud...

Robert :

Right. The new fan is better on that fan noise. The air noise is about the same. I still use the rubber pads because it really cuts down on the motor vibration noise. That is what I mean by the housing noises.

Customer:

where do you get the rubber padding

Robert :

I am always trying stuff like that to improve on noise levels because, for some weird reason, they don't even consider that in the factory.

Robert :

I buy mine at a local hardware store.

Robert :

It is about 1/8 of an inch thick and easy to cut and shape.