Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience
63955563

I have a Maytag Epic Z Automatic Washer. The door is locked

I have a Maytag Epic Z Automatic Washer.
The door is locked and will not unlock.
We placed dirty laundry in washer, loaded soap and softener, closed door and attempted to start "normal" cycle, as usual. The cycle did not start and the door was then locked.
I have tried the suggestions offered in the manual, namely selecting the "rinse/spin" cycle and "extra rinse". No luck.
The "door locked light is lit up red. When I attempt the extra rinse cycle, the "add garment" light comes on.
I have also unplugged the machine and plugged back in to try and reset the computer but again no luck.
Ideas? Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Unplug washer. Lossen screws and remove lower panel. Reach up right-hand side until you fell the door latch assembly. On the bottom-side you will fell a small pull-tab. Pull this straight down, and the door will unlock.

Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: 15yrs experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX able to get the door unlocked and open but upon plugging machine in and trying again to start cycle it does the same thing again, locking the door. Every time I try to start the cycle again it makes a brief electronic buzz-like sound a few times at the point of the door lock but the cycle will not start and the door requires the manual inside release to unlock.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Are you getting a F-something code on the display?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

If the door lock checks out, the problem would be in the main control. You can get this part at repairclinic.com. You just need the model# XXXXX the data plate to look up part. The main control is located under the top cover on the front right. The part is pretty expensive, so I'm going to opt out, to get a second opinion for you from another expert.....Thank you

Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and will use all my training and knowledge to help you so please bear with me ,, thanks

may i have the model number please