Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Fridgidaire FRS23W3AW4,it would run for about a week,then

I have a Fridgidaire FRS23W3AW4,it would run for about a week,then would not cool.I would disconnect the power plug

for about 30 minutes and it would start cooling again.We had a service man look at it and he put a ADC IV Kit in

it,about a week later it did the same thing.He put a relay on the compressor,a week later the same thing.Then I was

told that it was the evaporator fan motor and it was bad,got a new fan motor and it still does the same thing.Thanks for any help,J.L.Vaughan ([email protected])
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is this the fan kit you tried ? are you getting voltage to the fan ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes,that is the fan motor and I am getting voltage,Ihave not saw the fan running and evaporator is freezing over.I have a thermometer in both sides and when it is working,both sides get to about the same temperature.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay, so when you open the door the fan is not running correct ? does it spin free by hand? there are a couple of things I don't understand. 1 why did he replace the compressor relay ? it has nothing to do with that fan. and 2 are the coils frosted all the way down ? thick frost ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fan spins freely,why he changed the relay,only he can say.He told me if that didn't fix it that it was a bad compressor.Another man told me the evaporator motor was bad.The coils are frosted about 3/4 or alittle more down.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
3/4 of the way down ? are they evenly frosted? or is it thick on the top and tappers of as you go down ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thick at top,tapers at lower part.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well its hard to say for sure but it sounds like you are loosing freon in this. those coils should have a light frosting evenly down all the coils, as far as the fan goes thats really strange if its been replaced twice and it is getting 120 volts it should be running. where did they or you get the fans?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ordered it from ApplianceParts Pro,I think,the box had Fridgidaire on it so I'm assuming it was the right part.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sounds like it and their good about their parts, the thing that bothers me is if theres voltage it should run. I would call and get a replacement sent. tell them the one you received doesn't work, it could be faulty.