Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool Quiet Care II washer that I purchased about

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Quiet Care II washer that I purchased about 6 years ago. It has two problems. (1) The cycle will not start after it fills with water. (2) The spin cycle leaves the clothes pretty wet.

I am unsure of issue #2. But I went through a little troubleshooting for issue #1. I suspected either the lid sensor or the main control unit behind the cycle dial (whatever that's called). (Typically, I can get the load to start by messing with the dial a few times or opening and shutting the lid.) This time, I slowly shut the lid and heard the sensor engage. This immediately caused a buzzing sound, but no cycle start. I turned the cycle off, then on and it immediately started. I suspect I have to replace the electrical unit behind the dial. Does that seem correct?

For issue #2, I have no idea, is it related to #1?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you open the lid and get us the model # ? its towards the back when you open the lid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
LSB6300PW4
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay from what you saying its the lid switch thats the problem. can you tell me what you meant by a buzz sound ? did it sound like the motor running ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure how to describe the buzzing sound. But as I gently closed the lid and heard the metal pin engage the sensor, the buzzing started. If I opened the lid, the buzzing stopped. When I closed the lid and the buzzing started again, I pushed the cycle knob in (to stop the wash) and then pulled it (to start the wash) and it immediately started. To me, this doesn't seem like it's the sensor's issue. Although, in the past, it has started without pushing and pulling the cycle knob. (Slamming the lid has worked). It seems like there is some kind of electrical connection that is loose....
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
its the lid switch. you need to order and replace it. heres a link to part . http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Lid-Switch-Assembly/8318084/1018522?modelNumber=LSB6300PW4#repairHelpVideoTabs this will fix the issue, as far as the not spinning the clothes out correctly you may need to replace the clutch also, this has shoes like break shoes and they wear. heres a link to that and theres a video on how to replace it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Clutch-Assembly/285785/2670?modelNumber=LSB6300PW4 thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

Unfortunately, your assessment of my lid sensor was incorrect. I initially felt this way if you view my detailed description of this buzzing noise. I bought the part, replaced it and it did nothing. I have the same issue. I would like to know how this can be solved. I am not happy as I paid $30 for this diagnosis and about the same for the lid switch. If it helps, I took a video of the issue so that you can hear the buzzing noise.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
As I stated on my last response today, Bryan's suggestion to change the lid sensor did not solve the problem. I have a video I can send/upload to better illustrate the problem.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.

I see that yoiu have relisted your question .

I will try to assist you .

The issue of the unit filling then stops ,

If you advance the timer will the unit then spin??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

http://youtu.be/deJSWTZddfc

Please check out this video I took today. You can hear the buzzing sound that I describe. Typically, after the cycle doesn't start, I fiddle with the knob that sets the cycle by either turning it on and off a few times or turning it off, spinning it around 360 degrees and then turning it on again. I am not 100% sure if the unit will spin if I advance the timer. I didn't try that today (and I can't try it again very quickly as this is a unit that is in a rental property).

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm here if you still want me to help. I'll watch the video.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Bryan,
The link is above your response and the video is uploaded. This time, the cycle started without even spinning the knob.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay I watched your video. can you open the control panel and check the plug on the timer itself? pull the know out and wiggle the timer plug . does it start ? the buzz you hear is the timer motor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can try that tonight or tomorrow. Unfortunately, this appliance is at a rental property. What does "pull the know out" mean? Do you mean knob? I just wanted to make sure. I will respond and let you know what I find as soon as I can do this. Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes pull the knob out and if it doesn't start wiggle the plug on it. it may be loose of have a bad connection. I will watch for your reply. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, so I tried what you said, but I can't figure out what's going on.

I tried three times and 2 out of the three times, it didn't start. The first time, I wiggled the wire harness connector and it started. I didn't push the knob in and pull it out like usual. The 2nd time, it started by itself. The 3rd time, I had already put the parts back together and I did the usual push in and pull out for it to start.

I inspected the w/h connector and didn't see anything loose or damaged.

I suspect that it might be something internal in the unit. Why would pushing it in and pulling it out make it start? Does that action complete a circuit long enough for the signal to go through to start the cycle? I'm not really familiar with any of the internals to know what might be the problem, but it seems like an annoying electrical issue that is not worth $100 for a new part to solve.

Any ideas for a cheaper fix?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay form what your saying it sounds like you timer contacts inside the timer are bad , when these contacts burn they don't contact and the machine wont start, when you push the knob in and out you finally get it to contact ,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this is $118.00 and I'm not sure you want to put that kind of money in this . if you bought the switch at repair clinic they will take it back if you wish to return it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bryan,
This makes more sense that this is the problem. I would take the lid sensor switch back, but the plastic snap fit mechanism broke when I removed the old one. Must be cheap plastic.....so I am out of luck there. I did confirm that the clutch replacement fixed the spin cycle issue, so thanks for that advice.

-Eric
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your very welcome. I'm sorry it didn't work out where the switch took care of it, unfortunately you had multiple problems with this, a lot of it probably started with the lid switch and caused the contacts in the timer to burn. arcing will cause that, have a great week thanks ,Bryan