Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a KitchenAid Side-by-Side refrigerator, Model KSRB25FKSS00.

I have a KitchenAid Side-by-Side refrigerator, Model KSRB25FKSS00. S/N SL4341445. The ice maker is not working...everything else is working, including the water dispenser. I have defrosted the ice bucket. When reconnecting power, the Ice Maker panel inside the freezer will blink two times then nothing.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

I need to know a couple of things about the situation

Robert :

1. Is there water or ice inside the icemaker itself?

Customer:

Not that I can tell.

Robert :

2. What direction are the teeth that eject the ice from the icemaker facing?

Customer:

up

Robert :

Reach inside the icemaker tray and see if you can feel any ice inside of it.

Customer:

I will change my answers...the teeth are pointing out but at an angle, and upon closer inspection, it looks like there is water in there...

Robert :

Ok. The teeth pointing out towards you, at an angle, and the fact that it has water in it leads me to believe the icemaker itself is working. The teeth at that angle means the icemaker is in standby mode waiting for permission to dump.

Robert :

That means the sending unit and receiver will need to be replaced on the refrigerator. It is not a hard job but you will need to unplug the unit to do it. Does that sound like something you can handle?

Customer:

sure

Customer:

What do the two red blinks mean?

Robert :

Let me get you some information.

Robert :

That is a standard blink saying the unit is not processing ice at that time so it is safe to leave the door open.

Robert :

Watch this short video for an explanation(and it shows you how to replace the parts):

Robert :

I will get you the part number for the emitter board kit.

Robert :

The kit is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN You can get it at www.searspartsdirect.com.

Robert :

Did the video clear things up a little for you?

Customer:

but how do you know it's the emitter board?

Robert :

I do it more based on experience with this unit. The icemaker apparently dumped and filled one last time so the icemaker is doing what it should. The board is not allowing it to dump by sending the signal that the bucket it ready. Like the video states: the light on the emitter board should flash twice, pause, flash twice and continue to do this when the door to the freezer is open. If you push in on the flap, with your hand and everything esle out of the emitters path, the light should turn red and stay that way.

Robert :

If that all works then the icemaker should be getting the signal to dump the ice and keep cycling.

Robert :

The only other thing it could be is a shorted thermostat on the inside of the icemaker that is not sending the letting the unit dump because it doesn't think it is cold enough. When that happens you usually get a smokey residue in the top part of the freezer area that is visible to the eye.

Customer:

No residue. So you think that mechanically, the ice maker is in the correct position and ready to dump if it only got the infrared signal to proceed, correct?

Robert :

That is correct.

Customer:

OK. I will go for it. Thanks

Robert :

No problem. Let me know if you run into any snags.

Robert :

Please click the accept button to close this chat if you are happy with my advice. You can always come back to this question later if you need more assistance.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your solution was dead-on correct. Found the parts locally and it was done within 10 minutes. Great job. Thanks.
No problem. Have a great night!