Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

My KitchenAid built-in electric convection oven is six years

My KitchenAid built-in electric convection oven is six years old. It is starting to sound like a helicopter taking off, especially when cooling down. The noise is becoming louder. What is this and how can I take care of the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

This sounds like a cooling fan issue but I need to ask a few questions. Is this happening during normal and convection cooking OR just in convection?

Customer:

Both types of cooking.

Robert :

Is the noise louder when you open the door or is the sound the same?

Customer:

Not sure. Should I go turn the oven on and check?

Robert :

I am pretty positive it is the cooling fan behind the clock area because the are bad about making noise when they go out. You can try it and let me know but I am pretty sure it will be the same noise level and won't be the convection fan because it happens during normal baking.

Robert :

Number 3 in the pic above is the cooling fan.

Robert :

You have to pull the oven out and remove the top cover to replace it.

Robert :

Is that something you think you can handle?

Customer:

The noise starts immediately when I turned the oven on right now, both in normal and convection mode. It is getting worse. You're right though. The noise does seem to be coming from the controls area.

Customer:

This would definitely be something that my husband could handle.

Robert :

The part number for the blower and motor assembly is W10176670 and you can order it at www.searspartsdirect.com

Robert :

That will cure your problem and get you backto quiet cooking.

Customer:

it's fairly simple to fix then? Thanks so much. I'll order the part and look forward to quiet cooking again!

Robert :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

Let me think for a moment.

Robert :

Sorry, yes, it is a fairly simple fix once you have the ovn out.

Robert :

No problem,

Customer:

I'm trying to think if there is anything else but can't come up with anything.

Customer:

Thanks!

Robert :

No problem. I hope you have a great day! Please click the accept button to close this chat if you are happy with my advice.

Customer:

OK

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.