Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I own a Frigidaire Gallery Heavy Duty Stackable washer/Dryer.

Customer Question

I own a Frigidaire Gallery Heavy Duty Stackable washer/Dryer. Having trouble with the washer quitting after wash. It won't drain or spin and I do not hear it even attempt to start to drain. I have replaced the lid/lock switch and nothing. I removed the drain hose fron the pump and thought it was clogged but now I am wondering if it came with like a flapper valve in the hose because if I stick a metal rod in the end it seems to open it up. Is this truly the clog or is there a flapper type valve in these hoses? HELP!!! Getting frustrated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is Bryan,I look forward to helping you today.

Can you get us the full model number? Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
FLSE72GCSA
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
You said you replaced the lid lock assembly? Is this the one you replaced?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes-it had a relay on it as I think the one in your pic has that I did not have wires for. I only had 2 wires so they went to the body of the lid lock and not that relay. I taped off the two prongs on the relay.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay so the lock assembly you got was missing the relay, here is the side view doesn't look the same as the one you took out of the machine?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The one I took out had no relay- The new one has a relay. I asked the guy at the store and he said this is the one that replaces my old one???
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay. So you only have two wires going to the old switch is that correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay try this test, take the two wires off the switch and connect them together and tape them, see if the washer spins. Let me know, thanks, Bryan, make sure the washer is unplugged before attempting this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I really don't want to cut the nice push on terminals off the wires. Perhaps I have a jumper somewhere and can use that. I can not do that at this time anyway. I am very busy and the machine is back together at the moment. If that should work How do I hook up the new lid/lock so it will work with the extra terminals on that relay?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I can't be sure of your old switch because it should be the same that is the switch that comes up with your model number so there should be four wires, I don't know if this is a new machine that you bought new or if you bought it from somebody else but someone may have changed the original lock with something else I can't be sure of that however. When you get home or when you get to it try to find a jumper or you can just hook the two connectors together so they connect and tape them to try it, I just don't understand why you don't have four wires. That doesn't even make sense to me and let somebody change something in the machine, it could also be that the old lock assembly is no longer available so they sent the new one. The problem with that is I believe they should have sent you instructions on what to do if that was the case. At any rate let me know later when you get to the machine and we will try to work out how to get this running for you again. Thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The guy at the store did not sound real sure about the switch and said this is what it called for. I never had 4 wires and this machine was purchased new by us. I agree, there should have been instructions on what to do with the two terminals on the relay. I hope to get to it at some point but not sure when. As far as my original question-Do you know about the drain hose feeling plugged up but then I stuck a metal rod in it and it almost seemed to open a flap door or something or do you truly think it is clogged. I have never seem a flapper door in a drain hose.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
There is a flap on the pump itself I'm not sure how long this Rod was and whether you reached the flap with it are not, the flap is a backwash flap so water doesn't run back into the machine, you can see in this picture it is orange on the top part of the pump.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I don't believe your pump is clogged however because even if it was clogged the machine would still make noise like it was spinning or trying to spin, is there water in the tub that didn't drain if there is that's because there's no power get to the pump if the lid switch is not connected correctly, this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not the pump itself- the drainhose. I had it off and tried to run water through it-it is clogged or has a flapper door in it- strange. Again, when I stuck a metal rod in the end that attaches closest to the pump I could feel something and then water would run through. If I remove the metal rod its like the door closes again and then no water goes through it.???????
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay was this the part you had off ?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
exactly
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay there is no flap in that itself. You know maybe that was your only problem is that drain hose has a sock or something stuck in it this hose should be clear all away through, I'm wondering if maybe you can get whatever is in it out or purchasing new hose and put your old lock assembly back in and see if it works. There should be nothing in that hose whatsoever is just a plastic hose, so on that I believe you are correct there is something in the hose. Possibly get a coat hanger and make a hook and try to hook whatever is in there and pull it out, other than that it's pretty hard to get something out of these hoses because of the ribs. It's very possible that was the issue from the start and you didn't need the lid switch at all. Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My thoughts exactly.. It just seemed so weird that I could open it enough to get airflow and water flow through it with the metal rod and then when I pulled it out it closed up tight again- like it could be a flapper door of some sort. This store has nothing in stock so I am going to have to wait on ordering one if I can't unclog it. I am still uneasy about the two extra terminals on the new lid lock- hopefully its getting juice without those two hooked up.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Will see that's the problem , that's not really a relay it is a solenoid which locks the door so when you turn the machine on and shut the lid and pull the knob out the solenoid which is the part with the two wires you don't have looked up receives power and locks the door which in turn hits a switch to the two wires you do have connected and makes a connection so the washer can spin, in other words the two wires that you have hooked up to the switch go to an internal switch that is engaged by the lock if you know I'm saying, so if that lock isn't over it won't get power back to the motor to start spin or drain, you can try pushing that lock over into the locked position and see if it starts if you are able to and I think you are on this one because I think it's a solenoid type lock, but the whole reason for that is so that no one can open the lid well it's spinning and it will not spin or drain in less that lock is over, my guess is your old lock may be good in it may just be a clog in your hose if the original problem was that it wouldn't drain, if it doesn't drain it won't spin also because there is a pressure switch in Windows water in it the tub will not begin to spin because the water would go up over the sides if it did. I'm pretty sure this is your issue, let me know when you get home and are able to check it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if I will get to it today but will let you know asap. Correct on the locking part but it sounds like on the new switch if I dont have that relay/soloniod hooked up it wont lock and it wont drain and spin- if I understand you correctly. Anyway I have to run. Perhaps I will unclog the hose and reinstall my lock/lid switch and see what happens. Keep in touch!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, yes thats exactly whats going on no power to the lock part so the switch wont engage which means no spin. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if you are still available - if so can you reply. I have more info.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I will be in after lunch today, probably not leaving the office till around 8 am est if you get back to me before the.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried what we talked about.I am able to blow air through the drain line now-never got a big clog out but seemed to open up enough for water flow to get through. Started to drain and then quit and smelled a burning smell so again thought there was another blockage-so removed the drain line from the tub to the pump-no blockages in that. Are there any litlle water lines etc in the back of the machine that could be plugged. Still seems as though there is a blockage somewhere but at my wits end at this point. Left my original lid lock in. I did hear the timer going through the cycles so I am assuming the timer is working.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well if you smelled burning check your belt and the pump itself, there could be something in the pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had the pump open several times it is very clean. I did hear like the start capacitor humming for awhile before it kicked in to drain only for a sceond then smelled the burning smell when the draining quit. PS Not certain it was the start capacitor humming- is that normal if it was?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PS Also , I don't think its the belt as the machine was not turning at the time so the pulleys were not moving. The belt is a bit loose though but nonetheless, its not engaging.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well thats nor good news , if you smelled something burning and the motor isn't starting the motor start windings have failed. the only way to repair that is replace the motor. sorry for the bad news,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I would try changing the motor start capacitor before the motor however.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this is only $3.00 at this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Capacitor/131212301/406742?modelNumber=FLSE72GCSA if it doesn't start replace the motor, heres a link for that. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/134159500/958673?modelNumber=FLSE72GCSA thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again, is it normal for the start capacitor to hum or would that mean it might be the problem- in other words IT IS NOT SUPPOSE TO HUM or would it do this if it was trying to start a motor that was bad?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the motor would hum if the capacitor was bad and it wouldn't start, try the capacitor first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what would the burning smell be? Also, would the motors run ( the pump motor and tub motor) if there was a clogged drain hose? I am assuming the tub motor would not kick in until it drains down to a certain point. Not sure about the pump motor. It seems to drain for a second after I unclogged the drain hose then shut down quickly. I am now learning there is a flap on the outlet side of the pump motor- or should be and mine has none and that may explain the strange clog in the drainline where nothing came out but I was able to clear it temporarily. Your thoughts??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the timer having no power coming out mean it might be bad or does this happen if there is a clog and it shuts down as well?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sorry my computer has been down. well your pump is supposed to have a flap like the one above does it not ? yours is gone ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My flap is gone and that's what I think is in the drain hose. Like I said I worked like hell to open it enough to let air and water through and no gunk came out and then when I put it all back together it started to drain for a moment and then stopped like that flap repositioned itself and blocked off the drain line again. Just guessing but it seems like it now that I know what that flap looks like- saw it on a new one. The question remains- Would/could this be causing the water pump to halt and no power showing at the lid/lock and no power outgoing on the timer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it could if it was working to hard and overheated. check the pump also and make sure its turning easy, remove the hose and try running it, if it stops without the hose the pump itself is bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I stuck my finger in it when I had it open to make sure it was free and the only thing funny I encountered was every once in a while it would spring back like it was wound with an elastic band. (Hard to describe) but it seemed to turn quite easy.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it sounds like its hitting something and stopping. can you remove the cover? back panel in the freezer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are talking a washer here and the unit is sealed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

sorry, I meant that post for another customer. real busy here. if you take the hose off you can get your finger in the hole and see if it turns free.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

read my last post-did it. The elastic band thing happened a few times but other than that it is free and clear. i will try and undo the hose I think has the rubber valve stuck in it and try and turn the unit on. Will it work normal with no water in it?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the pump will run normal yes with no water.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will get back to you when I give it a try. Perhaps tomorrow.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I ended up calling a repair man because non of the above worked and it was the timer. I did pay you thirty dollars as well. Can we be reimbursed some of this fee? Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure, you never paid me. I only get paid if you accepted my answer which you didn't so you need to contact J.A. for that info.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just got a credit card bill for our session and it said 30.00
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you need to contact J.A . I'm just a tech and didn't get paid. sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do that thanks Bryan