Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Kenmore Elite icemaker inlet tube is frozen. Froze a month

Customer Question

Kenmore Elite icemaker inlet tube is frozen. Froze a month ago, technician came out and fixed. I watched what he did, and tried to repeat, but still no water coming in. I removed icemaker, ran frozen inlet under hot water, removed tube of ice from the black rubber bushing coming through roof of fridge. Can't remember if I need to pull that black bushing down from the roof, or will I mess something inside up?
Also, is there a time delay or reset procedure?
Thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you look inside the refrigerator section and there will be a tag with the full model # XXXXX on one of the sides or the ceiling. can you get that to me? it will start with a 3 number prefix like 110. 106 . 665 or some other combo.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model: 106.58964702

Thanks,

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay Wayne, is your ice maker mounted to the side wall of the freezer ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sorry yours is mounted in the front when you open the freezer door . on the back of the refrigerator where the line goes up there should be a quick connect for the line. are you able to disconnect the line at that point and blow through it to see if its clear ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a mounting bracket on the left and right side. The ice maker slides into a groove on those brackets. The black tube I am curious about comes through the roof on the right side of the ice maker.

Did you see my original post - happened a month ago, caused by freeze in inlet tube INSIDE fridge. My question is (1) can I pull the black tube from roof (2) is there a RESET that I need to do?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately you can't really pull the black tube from the roof because it runs through the insulation and then out the back and then down to your valve, it's frozen up in the ceiling itself that's why I was going to have you disconnect it between the valve and where it goes into the top of the refrigerator on the back if you pull a refrigerator away from the wall there will be a quick connect between the lines, disconnect it and blow into the freezer and see if it goes through, if not it's frozen up in the ceiling which is a real real pain the neck to be honest, it's not really frozen in the black tube part but in the plastic hose that runs between the two parts of the ceiling of the refrigerator, this is a very common issue on this particular refrigerator, taking a hairdryer heating up the ceiling of the freezer all the way to the back is one way of getting this to defrost although it takes time because it is in between the insulation, but if you can disconnect the quick connect in the back you can blow through it to make sure that's with the water clogged or frozen water is but I'm sure it is, the only way to do this otherwise is to unplug the refrigerator for a full 24 hours and leave the freezer door open which in most cases if you don't have a spare refrigerator or a place to put your food it's not feasible. Unfortunately this is a common issue on these, I've had some of these take me two or three hours to defrost with a hairdryer warming up the ceiling in the freezer section till the water started flowing again. Those your only two choices at this point unfortunately, when the technician came out it may not of been as frozen as it is now so he may have had an easier time of getting it defrosted, hope this information is useful and if you have any further questions don't be afraid to ask, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand your point of being frozen in the ceiling of fridge, but I don't think that is the issue I have. While corresponding with you, I left the icemaker 'hanging' by the wire (not really), and when I just checked, I had ice running down the inside wall of the freezer, so the water must have started running again. I understand I can't pull the black tube down, so will not do that. Since I have gotten water running, do you know what the "recycle" time is (5 min. 10 min?) or if I need to "reset" anything to get the beast going again?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay so water came out of the tube? Maybe just having the freezer door open as defrosted which is a good thing, the normal cycle times about an hour so what I would do is put the ice maker back in and let it run the rest of the day listen for ice be and dropped, it should make a batch in about an hour so I would put it back together and close the door and leave it shut, check and a couple hours and you should have ice being made, that's about all the could do at this point. If it does not work come back and we will see what else we can check, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
FYI - I had to get the repair guy out here again since the ice maker still refused to work. Turns out it was a bad board/motor - when he put the jumper in to force the cycle, it just ignored him!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh, thanks for letting me know, have a great week, Bryan