Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE monogram side by side and the frezzer has stopped

I have a GE monogram side by side and the frezzer has stopped freezing at all. I have had a heavy moisture problem on the refridgerator side coming from the back near the top. We have been just putting a towel on the 2nd shelf and replacing it every week when throughly wet. The unit is right at five years old.
Is there any easy maintenece such as cleaning coils, reset switch, anything before we start with a repair man?
The refridgerator is cooling fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you get us the full model # ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will folow up with complete info tomorrow.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay no problem at all just get back to me tomorrow and I will be glad to finish helping you get this repaired, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The model # XXXXX SERIAL#HG070651.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
are any of the fans running at this point ? inside or up near the compressor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll have to check that this evening when I get home. I know on the refer side the fan is running, but I'll have to check the freezed side. What other preliminary questions might I need to get answered when I go home tonight?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well on the top of the refrigerator going across the top there is a grill, remove the grill and see if the fan is running up in the compressor area, also feel the compressor itself and see if it's warm, hot, or cold, it's very important we know whether the compressor is working at all or running I should say. Also see if you can feel it vibrating. Also is this refrigerator completely warm now freezer and refrigerator sections? Let me know these things tonight, that will determine whether your main control board has failed or not. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I checked that the fan is working, rather noisily, and I felt the compressor and it is vibrating. The compressor is not hot or even warm to the touch but it is vibrating. When checking the temperature on the display the freezer shows 56 and the fridge shows 42. Howerver the tempperature in the fridge just does not seem that cold, leading me to belive that the sensor is inaccurate. Inside the freezer it is barely above room temp. I could get a thermometer and set it in the units to verify this? I'm just not sure what direction to go as the unit is only 5-years old? There was a recessed on /off switch under the cover at the top of unit over the freezer so I turned it off and it killed the power and then I turned it back on and the fan & compressor came back on. I was hoping that that may have reset everything but it changed nothing. suggestions? or tests I can perform?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay for one thing that's way too warm if those temperatures are true. The compressor vibrating sounds like it's running. You may have a Freon issue which I believe is your problem. Would you be able to remove the back panel inside the freezer behind where the food goes and take a look at the evaporator coils and tell me if there is a Frost pattern on them? It requires removing the panel inside the freezer in the back. Let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does panel pop out or is there anything special I need to know? I hate to break off a tab or something not knowing the process. Is there a you tube how to available? If I don't hear back from you today I will give it a try tonight. THANK YOU for all of your help!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
There are no clips that I can see, the panel is held in by screws, here is the diagram, unfortunately I cannot find a YouTube for this. Hopefully the diagrams will help you. Maybe you can print out the diagrams and bring them home with you, as you can see there are whitecaps that cover the screws so you need to pop those off and then take the screws out the screws are number 519 on the diagram. Thanks and talk again soon, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't have time to pull the panel off to check for frost on the coils but I am certain that there cannot be any because the the temp in the freezer is close to room temperatue. the disply say's 61 so its getting worse. probably the gradual loss of coolness over the last couple of days and the fridge seems to be going the same direction. I believe you are correct about the freon..

I guess I need to have a repairman come out and do the job?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes unfortunately a sealed system issue had to be address by a qualified HVAC technician. freon laws are strict nowadays. I'm sorry for the bad news. I wish you well. thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.