Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

Hello..I have a brand new Kenmore Elite gas cook top that I

Hello..I have a brand new Kenmore Elite gas cook top that I am installing...I have propane, NOT ng, so I was in the process of switching the orifices on the burners for propane..(the burners are all dif sizes). This cook top is a sealed unit..
As i went to put in place the new orifice for one burner, it slipped and went into the surrounding hole and out of site!

Is there anyway to open this cook top up to retireve the orifice??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you. Most Kenmore Elites are made by Whirlpool, to open those cooktops all the burners need to be removed and then there should be some screws on the side to take out and then the top comes right off, also remove the control knobs and there may or may not be some screws under those.

Customer:

Hi..sorry for the delay..

Tim Alan :

That's ok I am here

Customer:

not this one..there r 2 screws to take out the burner...that allows access to the orifice..besides that there are 2 other nuts that I removed, and that did nothing...

Customer:

its made by Electrolux...which I guess is owned by Fridgidare

Tim Alan :

What is the model number of the unit please?

Customer:

I'll check..brb

Tim Alan :

Yes that is Fridgidaire

Customer:

ok..it is 790.32353000

Tim Alan :

ok brb let me look it up

Customer:

ok

Tim Alan :

From what it shows on the break down the top comes right off by removing the burners

Tim Alan :

have you tried removing all the burners?

Tim Alan :

or just one

Tim Alan :

all the burners come off for the top removal

Tim Alan :

The picture doesn't show any screws on the sides but most do have them.

Customer:

well..1st of all..I have the unit secured to the counter already and the propane line is attached...

Customer:

I have only removed 1 burner, but they are all the same...

Tim Alan :

Your trying to get an orifice that drown correct?

Tim Alan :

That dropped down

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

That is a picture of the top

Customer:

yes...and it is not in sight...

Customer:

yes..thats it...

Tim Alan :

The only way to get inside is to remove that top, if it's installed then you either have to lift it up out of the hole and set it down on it's bottom, or totally uninstall it and set it down on something.

Tim Alan :

You have to remove all the burners, that top is not going to budge without doing that.

Tim Alan :

Or remove it and turn it over and see if you can get the orifice by turning it over

Customer:

ok..and u believe that those 2 pieces will separate after that?

Customer:

the damn numbere marked on the orifices are microscopic!..and they dont match up per the directions!

Tim Alan :

Yes it will but again the pic does not show any screws on the sides, check that also typically on cooktops there will be screws on the side too.

Customer:

ie..gas orifice # XXXXX top be replaced with propane orife # XXXXX

Tim Alan :

Maybe you have the wrong kit

Customer:

uugghh

Tim Alan :

Yes and the directions are as clear as mud I know

Customer:

what happens if u leave an NG orifice in there with propane?

Tim Alan :

a very small flame

Tim Alan :

maybe not enough for ignition

Customer:

the holes in the ng orifices r bigger than the propane,I noticed..I would have thought it would be the other way around

Tim Alan :

I never notice before was there something you had to do to the regulator

Tim Alan :

most have an adjustment or spring to change in the regulator

Customer:

oh!..1 other thing before I try this...this new cook top has a regulating valve with it..the prior 1 dis not..my propane tank already has a regulator...will using 2 choke the propane flow?

Customer:

--yes..I had to tweak the regulator per the instructions for propane conversion

Tim Alan :

The regulator that comes with it still has to be used, it shouldn't choke it.

Customer:

ok..I will go try this and get back to you..will you be available for a bit?

Tim Alan :

In your old one the regulator was probably inside of iit

Tim Alan :

Yes I should be on most of the day

Customer:

ok..ty..I will be back..ok?

Tim Alan :

Ok thank you

Customer:

hello?

Tim Alan :

Yes I am here

Customer:

Hi

Tim Alan :

How are you doing on the cooktop

Customer:

well..I disconnected the gas line and removed the unit from the counter

Tim Alan :

Ok good

Customer:

removed all the burners..

Tim Alan :

Ok

Customer:

there was 1 single screw on the back side..took that out

Tim Alan :

ok

Customer:

flipped it over..I can get a screwdriver between the 2sections, but they won't separate..and when I give more pressure, the top part,(visible) starts to bend..

Customer:

the 2 sections do not want to come apart

Customer:

took the knobs off too

Customer:

the only other thing I see are 2 little torx screws on the front, but their purpose seems to be to hold the control elements in place

Tim Alan :

Make sure there are no other screws in it, there is a gasket between the top and box that some use a 2 sided sticky gasket, if you can get a screw driver between the 2 pieces that gasket may be what is holding them together.

Customer:

...it seems just like a rubber gasket...with out any adhesive

Tim Alan :

I have had to use a utility knife on some before.

Customer:

I guess its worth a try..but it seems to be held together by something stronger than that

Tim Alan :

Make sure you have all the screws out if you found one on one side there may be more.

Tim Alan :

I have never seen them bolted from the inside or through the bottom, and the pic doesn't swhow anything else holding it in place.

Tim Alan :

You may be missing a screw someplace holding it down

Customer:

well..its pretty straight forward..just that one screw I told you about..and the 2 torx on the front..im afraid if I get too agressive with it I will damage th $1300 item!

Tim Alan :

It should be pretty straight forward, take the burners off and the top should come right off, pictures don't show all the screws not much more4 I can tell you.

Customer:

hmm...well I guess I'll have to go at it again for a bit..

Tim Alan :

Ok let me know.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service