Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a 10c Magic Chef Frig. A while back we had to replace

Customer Question

I have a 10c Magic Chef Frig. A while back we had to replace the timer. The box is not working right again. The Freezer will go down to -20% and the refrig gets no cold air. When we turned the timer a notch it came back on but still no food area cold.

It acts like it is either a fan or thermastat that will not allow the cold to circulate and/or it freezes up. Can you help? Dr M E Macdonald XXX@XXXXXX.XXX (NNN) NNN-NNNNThank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help you with your issue. It does sound like an airflow problem, first check inside the freezer and see if you can hear and feel the fan running and also look on the back wall of the freezer section and look for frost build up. If the freezer coil is not defrosting or the fan is not running no air will enter the refrigerator section.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The unit is presently off. Pluged in and the fan is running. It has to be a freeeze up for some reason. I don't understand why the freezed goes to -20%. Seems too cold to me. ???
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
It will keep running because the thermostat that controls the temperature is in the refrigerator, if the refrigerator is too warm it will never shut off' If you think it is froze up then it's a defrost issue, The new timer could be bad but more than likely it's a bad defrost thermostat or the heater.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I tell which so I know what to order?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The only way to check to truly know is to check them with a volt ohm meter. Both are inside the freezer, The defrost thermostat will be round and attached to one of the copper lines, when that is cold it should ohm out to zero, no reading or high resistance and it's bad. You can visually inspect it, some have a noticeable bulge in them when they go bad. The heater will have resistance of anywhere between 10 and 20 ohms, you can check those for burns or if it's broken, there bad. You can also use a meter to check for voltage during the defrost cycle, there should be 120 volts going to the heater from the timer during the defrost cycle.
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome have a great day, and thank you.