Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

my ice maker becomes a frozen block of ice and the cusbes do

Customer Question

my ice maker becomes a frozen block of ice and the cusbes do not dispence.

refrigerator model LRSC26925TT
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Under the ice maker are there drops of water, or is the bottom of the ice maker dry?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

at present there are 2 frozen drops

Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the ice cubes normal size?

Then lastly does it appear to you that the ice cubes are being melted, the best way to tell is look at the top ice cubes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it does appear that they are being melted together and then they refreeze. I do not note any liquiid in the large cube dispenser though
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
I understand, there are 2 possibilties. They could be melting together due to the ice maker sticking in the release position, there is a point that the ice maker kicks on a heater to loosen ice cubes and when that happens you can tell by looking at the top of the ice storage, the ice cubes will not be well formed at the top layers. Thats not a common occurance but it does happen the ice maker breaks that way once in a while.

The most common problem is the water inlet valve fails and leaks water onto the ice maker then to the cubes under the ice maker creating a pool in the ice storage bin, and then that freezes. But the ice cubes on the top of the ice storage bin are well formed when this happens. Thats how to tell the difference in which part is broken. Most likely it is the valve. The inlet valve is the first part your homes water supply connects to. One side is for the ice maker and one side is for the dispenser. Its a dual valve in one body. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically.