gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

microwave oven, JVM1540DM5WW purchased Jan9, 2012. When

microwave oven, JVM1540DM5WW purchased Jan9, 2012.
When the microwave is started, I hear the fan first then I hear a buzzing sound when the microwaving commences.
I have another GE microwave that does not have an additional noise when the microwave starts in.
It's loud enough to cause us to speak louder to hear over the buzz.
What's up with this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

hi

Customer:

hello

gst85 :

does it still heat your items?

gst85 :

good morning

Customer:

yes...all functionality is good except the noise

gst85 :

ok does the noise sound more like a hum?

Customer:

no, it sounds more like an arc between to points

Customer:

much different from the other GE microwave I own

Customer:

and louder....the other unit does hum

gst85 :

ok thats usually the transformer that is faulty.about how old is this unit

Customer:

I purchased the noisy on in Jan on the 9th

gst85 :

or even perhaps the magnetron as well

gst85 :

oh i see so it is pretty new

gst85 :

just one more question,does the noise go and come or does it continue throuhout the running time?

Customer:

it made this noise right out of the box

Customer:

the noise is consistent throughout what ever we are nuking. 1 min, 2 min....

Customer:

hello ?

gst85 :

hi

gst85 :

sorry about that

gst85 :

this unit seem to have had a manufacture defect

gst85 :

there can be several parts that can be faulty

gst85 :

magnetron ,transfomer ,or the actual fan

gst85 :

are you still with me?

Customer:

oh yes

gst85 :

you should not have to pay out of pocket for any of these parts

Customer:

suggestions? At this point all I have is the unit/manual/receipt

gst85 :

the manually is pretty much useless sinc it will not show you how to fix it

gst85 :

manual

gst85 :

i would suggest that it be returned

gst85 :

do you have any other questions youd like to ask me?

Customer:

no....it was nice dealing with a customer support issue with you as I am a GE employee in Longmont CO, customer service rep for aftermarket. It nice to see how GE responds to consumer issues. Great job and worth the $30. thanks

gst85 :

your welcome.pressing accept is how i get paid

Customer:

you got it...be well. Eric

gst85 :

have a great sunday!

gst85 :

nice working with you eric.

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs