Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Where to start: GE fridge model # XXXXX working fine,

Where to start: GE fridge model # XXXXX working fine, then no cooling. All power on fine, cooling fan working.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

How often does the unit stop cooling? And does both the refrigerator and freezer start to warm up? How long does this last for and how warm does both sides get?

Also, when the refrigerator stops cooling, is it completely silent or do you still hear fans and motor running?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unit has worked just fine until the cooling just quit. Neither freezer or refridgerator side has any cooling. The cooling fan at the coils is working when unit is turned on and set to cool, as is the circulatiing fan in the freezer section. Doesn't seem that the compressor is coming on.

there is no cooling at all in either side since it quit. it has never happened before and has not worked since it quit although I have unplugged it several times and tried to restart. All other power seems to be working fine, but zero cooling.

I have the back cover off, cleaned the coil (they needed it, but was not in terrible shape), have restarted it, but still no cooling. I can feel no vibration or hear any noise at the compressor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Hi this is Bryan , do you still need help ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i do still need help. I was working with appliance doc but I think he went offline. I assume you can read my correspondence to him. Basically, with the age of this unit, i am trying to decide if the compressor is gone (and I will probably then replace the refridgerator) or if it is an electronic problem that can be fixed less expensively.

thanks, Michael
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
more than likely its the main control board, (mother board) these compressors never go, or at least it rare. the control board is located behind the 8X10" cover on the back or the refrigerator . if the fans inside are running then what the problem most likely is there is a bad solder joint on the board or the board has failed. they had a lot of problems with these boards and had to redesign them. remove the board and check the solder joints on the back side of it. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,

I will remove it now and let you know what I see.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. thanks .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have the control board off, there is a bad place (looks burned) on the back near the bottom. Looks like it is a part of the largest block on the board, near the coil and the fuse. Not sure what it is.

I suppose this means i will need to replace the board?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes thats it. the burnt solder joint is the compressor joint, thats just what I though. sometimes if you lucky you can re solder that and it will be fine if not you need the control board, heres a link to order it if you need it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=GSH22KGMCWW I would try to re solder it if possible because the board is $170.00, please press the accept on my post so I get paid and not the wrong tech, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,

thanks - this is very helpful. If you can reply this one last time, I will gladly pay for your services. I have never tried to solder on a board like this. i suppose I just need to clean it up a bit and reapply solder to the spot and hope it works - thast sound about right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes, sometimes just heating up the solder thats there will flow back in and solder it good, if not try getting the solder out and cleaning it then re solder. most of the time just heating the solder up works fine. they had a problem with the automatic solderer at the factory and a lot of boards got by before they realized it. thanks and have a great weekend. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.