Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I hae a GE Profile side-by-side refirigerator thats about

I hae a GE Profile side-by-side refirigerator that's about 3 years old. Starting a day or so ago (right after my wife stuffed both sides witha big grocery run), botht he freezer and the refrigerator seem to be malfunctioning. The top part is too warm, and the bottom part too cold. In the freezer part, all the ice melted and ran down into the freezer and then froze into icicles. In the main part, things on top are moderately cool, and things inthe bottom are frozen.

HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you get us the full model # ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Having a hard time digging up paperwork on the unit. Is the model number on the machine somewhere?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes look inside on one of the side walls or the ceiling and theres a tag.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Model Number PSHF6RGXCDWW

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay great. can you look behind you food in the freezer and see if theres any frost on the back panel behind the food ? check real good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There most definitely is. Apparently ice cubes melted, the water ran down, and then froze again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, the first thing to do is take your food out and remove the back panel (behind the food) and check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils, if they are really clogged with frost you need to defrost them with a hair dryer. let me know what they look like .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need to do this in the freezer section only, or in both the freezer and the 'fridge sections both?

One more little detail... the in-door water dispenser seems to have stopped working at about the same time.

(I will remember to hit "accept" when my problem's solved -- no worries. You've been very responsive so far!)

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
so the dispenser stopped at the same time ? freezer only . have you heard any clicking comming from behind the refrigerator at all ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes -- dispenser stopped at same time, it seems (coincidence?). Freezer only - got it. Haven't noticed any clikcing, no.

Incidentally -- I have to leave for a while. I will deal with this in a few hours when I get back. Will you still be available?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes I will be here all day. just come back when you've had a chance to remove the panel inside. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, yes. All iced up.

So I melted all the ice, and I'm letting it all dry out. Anything else?

graphic

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay were the coils really clogged up ? all they way through ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hm. Well, I don't have much to compare against. They weren't completely frozen in solid ice, if that's what you mean. But there was a lot of frost, and some solid chunks, especially around the edges. I used a paint stripper (heat gun) to melt it all, which did the job pretty quickly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay good, what you need to do is order this, its the defrost thermostat, it needs to be replaced. its clipped to the top of the coils you just defrosted, you can order it @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/WR50X10065/1092784?modelNumber=PSHF6RGXCDWW put the panel back in and it will run correctly until the part comes in. it takes about 3 weeks for the frost to come back. thanks and best wishes Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hm. OK.

Questions...

Question 1: We have two 10-year-old kids. It's very likely that one of them left the freezer door cracked open, and nobody noticed it for as much as 12, even 24 hours. Could that have caused the meltdown in the ice cube tray, which then caused the icicles and frost?

Questions 2: Would all of this have affected the refridgerator side as well?

Question 3: How much should I expect to pay for the thermostat?

Question 4: Is it easy to replace on my own?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

oh yes that may have caused the issue, the thermostat is about $32.00 but if you want you can wait before ordering it to make sure it wasn't just left open that caused it. if the frost builds back up replace it. and yes it would affect the fresh food section, all the cold comes from the freezer and if its clogged theres no airflow to the refrigerator section. I had some things come up today unexpectedly and need to go out, I'll be back in a little bit if you have any questions. thanks Bryan

P.S. you can replce that yourself if needed

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.