Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

My refrigerator water dispenser is not working on a GE model

My refrigerator water dispenser is not working on a GE model GSS25WSTF SS
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

You sound pretty handy so lets get you to try something. Go to the bottom hinge on the freezer side and remove the hinge cover. Locate the hose that goes under the refrigerator. Pull the line out a little and detach the hose at the connector. Put the hose coming from the back of the refrigerator on a towel where you can see it. Close the doors and try the water dispenser for a second while watching this hose. Let me know if water comes out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert, I replied but am not sure my answer came through to you. Did you receive it?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
It didnt. Can you repost your reply for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I tried it and no water came out of the line.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like a water valve issue. I don't understand why a expert would have told you to replace the main board. That doesn't make sense to me. I hope you asked for a refund on that one. The dispenser board could be the issue IF it didn't dispense ice also. From what I have read on your post, the water is the only issue. Since the water valve is a two valve unit, the icemaker will still work but the water could not. If the unit is not dispensing ice through the door then we have a different issue. Let me know if I am correct in assuming it will still dispense ice and I will get you the part number for the valve.
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Robert,

I just received the main board and installed it today. The icemaker makes ice but it does NOT dispense it through the door. I installed a new dispenser board a couple of days ago because that was the recommendation on the GE site. It previously lit up flashing between temp and water and sometimes just staying on water --until I tapped on the wires and water valve, but now it is not lit at all. I've unplugged the fridge and plugged it back in as well as rechecked the fuze on the panel--nothing. If the water valve goes bad or shorts out does it cut power to the interface panel?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That is a different story. Go back to the area where the water line is in the hinge. There is a wiring harness down there that is wrapped in tape or plastic. You will need to pull that apart and check the wiring closely for corrosion and breaks. That is one thing that happens on this unit all the time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Robert,

You nailed it. Couldn't see it until I removed the electrical tape around one end of the connector but one wire is completely corroded and no longer connected. One other wire is pretty badly corroded as well. I'll get a connector and rewire it in the morning. If that doesn't fix it I'll get back to you but I believe that's probably been the problem all along. I wish I'd gotten you the first time... Thanks!

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
No problem. I just like to make sure we rule out everything before throwing parts at it. Fixing that will fix your issues. I would put the old parts back on the unit and send back the new ones that you didn't need(if possible).