Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

We purchased a Kenmore Elite refrigerator used. Model number

Customer Question

We purchased a Kenmore Elite refrigerator used. Model number 795.75743.800. And have had problems with the ice maker since we purchased, Ice maker has been replaced twice to no avail. At this time the icemaker appears to go through the motions but no water enters the tray. Water comes out of the door water dispenser though. Before this attempt to fix it the icemaker would make one load of ice and then stop and we turned it off and on and pressed other buttons on the other controls until some weird combination would cause it to make another singele load. I am wiling to get into this thing myself and attempt to repair it. I have had 3 separate companys attempt to with no luck. Any help for me?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

This unit is built by Samsung for Sears and this a common problem.

Robert :

The first thing you want to check is the wire connections in the door hinge up top. The have a tendency to be shipped out of factory loose and this causes intermittent failures. You will also need to check the connections for corrosion of any sort. You can clean corrosion off with q-tips and alcohol.

Robert :

If the wire connections look good let me know.

Robert :

The only other thing you could have going on is an intermittent water valve OR a bad control board. Just let me know about the wire connections in the door hinge area.

Customer:

Ok, I checked all of the wire connectors at the top of the door and they all are seated securely. I also checked the connector at the actual icemaker itself and the plastic wire connector there was seated securely. However I did find that the ground wire was attached loosely. It seems like the wrong screw was used and it was too long. I placed a nut on the screw to cause it to tighen up against the metal part of the ice maker and the ground wire eyelet. I turned it all back on and am now awaiting any new results. how long before it should start the ice making process?

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
It usually takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour for a cycle depending on the temp. Just update me when you can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will, Thanks so far.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok it has been 2 hours and no ice cubes have come out. However there is ice in the tray, the ice maker has not yet dispensed them into the bucket, I can feel the ice in the tray though.. that is progress I hope.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
It is possible that the unit is not getting cold enough in that compartment due to being opened. Leave the unit on overnight and let me know how it did tomorrow. That way we can get to root of the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok it just dumped the ice, the mechanism rotated completely filled with water again. Now to see if it make a bucketful. I will know by end of day tomorrow. If is odd we have been through 3 service techs with 3 different companies/ I am a Internet engineer not an appliance repair person, but even I knew a loose cable was not right. And that is the first thing you mentioned. Sheesh where are the good service people all gone to.

Again Thanks so far I dont want to get too optimistic but you may have it.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I have been doing this for a long time so i have seen alot of things. All of these new techs have very little training and even less experience. This leads to sub par service because the big companies don't want to pay us 25 dollars an hour. They want to pay the noobs 12-13 dollars an hour.

Just keep your eye on the unit and keep me updated. I am just glad I can help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok it is still making ice I believe you did it. Thanks again, so muc.