Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

We had a power outage today for about 5 hrs. The washing machine

We had a power outage today for about 5 hrs. The washing machine was almost done the spin cycle. When the power came back on in the house there was no power to the washing machine. Checked the breaker and it's fine. The dryer beside it works fine.
It's a Kenmore Elite front loader and front door won't open now either.
Any suggestions/solutions.
thank you,

Robert :

Hello John.

Robert :

Are there any lights on the control panel at all? Check all of them to be sure.

Robert :

If you can tell me how old the unit is also, that may help.

Robert :

I will check back. Just post your information for me.

Customer:

Hi Robert - there are no lights on the control panel at all.

Customer:

It's about 2 years old, bought in 2010. ModelNNN-NN-NNNN

Robert :

Ok. That is not a good sign. Let me pull the model and see what I can find out for you.

Customer:

I've checked the electrical socket and there is power to the socket.

Robert :

Sears Canada does not have a site to pull this unit up so I am checking a comparable model for you. Right now it looks like you will have to replace the control board on the unit but I need to double check.

Customer:

Bummer. Did not want to hear that but it was already in the back of my mind.

Robert :

Unfortunately that is where you are at.

Robert :

The only way to order your board is to call Sears Canada with your model number and tell them you need the CCU(command control unit). Also known as the main power board.

Robert :

Do you have the number for sears canada?

Robert :

1/800-469-4663 is the number if you don't

Robert :

They don't have a way for you to order it online.

Robert :

I am so sorry to deliver the bad news. Some units put a power filter on the unit that will pop but this is one unit that does not/

Robert :

Is there still water in the tub?

Customer:

don't believe there is. but it would be nice to get the door open to take the clothes out. Any clue what a power board is going for?

Robert :

150 to 200 on different models here in the states. It is built by Samsung for Kenmore.

Robert :

Is the front panel on yours all one piece?

Robert :

I ask because some of the unit have a release tab on the bottom of the door lock.

Customer:

All one piece with the exception of a small 6"x6" cover in the bottom right corner. The little drain hose and filter are located there.

Robert :

Ok. Unplug the unit, remove the screws from the back of the top panel and push the top panel back and lift it off. Have someone push the tub to the left(or wedge it with something) and reach down to the door lock on the right side(as you look at the machine). On the bottom of the door lock there may be a handle or pull tab that you have to pull down to manually unlock the door. Hopefully yours has one so you can get your clothes out.

Robert :

Sound like something you can handle?

Customer:

Going to give it a shot.

Customer:

thank you.

Customer:

Robert :

No problem.

Robert :

Let me know if you have any other issues.

Robert :

Just use the link in your email to get back with me. It may be in your spam folder.

Robert :

Please click accept to close this chat if my advice has helped you and have a great night!