Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a GE Dishwasher that is not functioning... When closed,

Customer Question

I have a GE Dishwasher that is not functioning... When closed, the "Normal wash" & the "Heated Dry" lights come on but nothing else will respond... I try reseting the unit by pulling down the breaker and when I put the power back on the loud beep comes on... and the same two lights are present... I have changed the Main & Tactile Board but have not been able to change the situation... even with the new parts, the same lights come on and NOTHING else happens... This is not a situation where the keypad is locked, as the key to work the lock does not respond... Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The normal wash and heated dry lights flashing means that the washer has stopped and can't advance for one reason or another. The problem is that there is no way to test and see what is causing the problem for certain, but generally the issue is the dispenser not opening. The dispenser itself will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Normal Wash and Heated Dry lights are not flashing... I understand what you indicate but the unit was reset and the lights still come on... The unit does ABSOLUTELY nothing and within a couple of minutes even those lights will turn off...

This same thing happened about 1 week ago... I put soap in the soap dispenser... Closed the door and the buttons would not respond... i opened the door again and closed it and then things started happening. The buttons reacted and I was able to turn the machine on... But this time, the machine is dead... It is not that the machine stopped mid-cycle... it is that there is no way to turn the machine on.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok, then the only thing that can cause that issue is control board. I know you replaced it already, but you need to order and replace the part again. If the part isn't that old you just need to warranty the part out again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Order and replace the part again??? After putting in the new part... for both the tactile and the main board the issue with the dishwasher was EXACTLY the same... thus this is obviously not the faulty part... I took out the new part and put in the old one again and the same exact thing is happening of course. Why would a new part be any different than this one that was ordered just two days ago?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That is the only thing that can cause the problem you're talking about.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
"Expert" gave answer to wrong issues at the beginning.... No lights were flashing... so he obviously did not read the situation correctly. He provided no other solution than indicating that I had to purchase the SAME part that I had purchased two days before once again...
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

The lights are staying on for a few minutes and then shutting off because the unit is not showing that it is closed. That is also why it doesn't do anything when you press start. This happens on these units quickly and without warning. Some techs say the control panel is locked, others say to replace the control board. The main thing you need to check are the switches on the door latch. You can test the switches by pushing down on the white lever in the door latch opening with a flat head screwdriver. Once you have the lever pressed down, try to set the dishwasher and put start. Let me know if it starts for you or not so I can tell you what to look for or try.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Robert... Thanks for the answer but sorry to say that this did not work.. I opened the door... I pressed the plunger (I think that what it is called) and nothing happened... I turned the power off and then turned the power back on (reset the unit), pressed the button and nothing happened.

Got any other possible solutions or alternatives?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Did you keep the plunger depressed to simulate the door was closed while pushing the buttons?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely... Since the plunger is very close to the actual door... I used an allen wrench that with the 90 degree bend helped... I kept the plunger pressed downwards and then attempted to press the buttons... nothing happened.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Kill the power to the unit again and open up the control panel. Locate the switches in the middle that the plunger activates. Test each switch to make sure they function properly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I test the switches? Should I open up the black box that holds the plunger and take a look to see if anything inside is amiss?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

You can use a voltmeter to test them for continuity when they are depressed(or just listen for each on to click when depressed). The voltmeter is the preferred method but you have to go with what you have. When you take that black box apart make sure you do it carefully and make sure you note how everything is in there. One mistake can botch things up. I see that you clicked the accept button. Just to let you know, that pays the other guy who was talking to you earlier. I haven't submitted an answer yet because we were looking for the real problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Robert.... I can see that I pressed the button... Shit... this was done by mistake.... How can I fix this? He was of NO help... you on the other hand have been very helpful
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

I can send it to the mods after we are done and see if they can fix it for you. Just make sure that you post the payment was supposed to come to me in the body of one of the posts. Also, any feedback you leave on here will go to him also. Just so you know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rob,

I sumbitted a request for refund... with the rest of the information... I will make sure to make good on this... and above all I will give you credit for the comments and feedback.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Understood. Just let me know about the switch testing so we can try and get you fixed up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bob,

Not the switches but rather the plunger was the problem... I opened up the plunger box and made sure that everything was nice and tight and tested the unit... music to my ears when the machine gave me the "beep" indicating that the door was closed!

What do we do now as for your compensation?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

I will post this as an answer and you can accept it if you would like. This will also make the feedback come to me.

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to tell you something. You may be able to take that old board you had and put it back into the unit. I don't believe the board was bad at all. Ship that sucker back if the old board is good and get your money back. Have a good one!