Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

My duet washer gets stuck on the wash cycle

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

Can you elaborate on the situation a little for me? I just need to know what you mean. Is it draining, is it stopping and shutting off, or is there an error code? Just let me know so we can get you fixed up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically the washer will start normally and at some point during the cycle it gets stuck. It keeps happening in the wash cycle but I have see. It once Or twice in the rinse cycle. I tries unplugging the machine and restarting after 1-2 tries it will normally start goin again. TOnight ( day two of this happening) I had to restart it 4 times and it is finally running but I keep waiting for it to get stuck at any moment.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
What does the display say when it stops? Is there water in the tub?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The display flashes but there is no digital display on the machine. If there is water it is not filled although the clothes are soaking wet. Every time it restarts it drains before it starts washing.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Gotcha. Run the unit again and when it stops, count the flashes. There will be one set, a pause and the a second set. Count the blinks and let me know what the numbers are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay but it may be a while because the machine is working now and it seems like it is not gettig stuck this time. I'll have to wait until the next load as I'm sure it will get stuck again.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
No worries. Just come back to this question and post the results when you get them. I will get looking for your response. This is the only sure fire way to get to the root of the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The washing machine is now stuck on the rinse cycle. It is not filled with water and there is no flashing light this time
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
If it is stuck on the rinse cycle then you may have an issue with the cold water valve not filling OR the drain hose being in the drain to far. Check the drain hose and make sure it is not in the drain more than about 6 inches. If it is, pull it out and reset it at that length. It also cannot be taped or clamped off. If the drain is okay then you are most likely having a water valve issue. Without an error code it is hard to give you a definitive answer so check that out for me.
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I am getting off of here for the night. Just post any questions you may have and I will get back with you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay so the machine stopped working again. I flashes once pauses for half a second and then flashes 9 times. Then it pauses and starts all over again.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Let me check that out for you.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

How old is this unit? I need to know if it is older than 1 year because you will have to open the unit up for repairs and if it has warranty, opening it will void the warranty. Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is 1.5 years old. Out of warranty.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Are you pretty handy? If so, look on the botXXXXX XXXXXp of the kick panel under the door. There will be 2-4 screws in the lip of that panel. Remove the screws and push(or bump) down on the panel. It will come off completely so be ready to catch it. On the inside of the panel there is a troubleshooting guide with error code readings just for your unit. Look up error code 19 and tell me what it says for your unit and I will get you the info you need for the repair. Also, open the door of the washer and get the model number off of the sticker if you can. That will make parts ordering and referencing the unit easier.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model number wfw9150ww00

There is only one screw. On the underside of the control panel. I removed the one screw and the soap dispensing drawer. There is some type of weird bolt holding the plastic molding behind where the drawer fit. I don't see anything to romove under the door.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Not on the control panel. The panel under the washer door. It will be closest to the floor(or pedestal if you have one) and the screws will be on the botXXXXX XXXXXp facing forward. Watch the first part of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTawgO1qKu0

It will show you the panel and how to remove it. Ignore the rest of the video.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay so the issue is that my washer and dryer are stacked, making it really hard for me to move them. This is a problem because my washer is in a metal pan I'm sure in the event of any leakage to protect my floors as it's on the second floor. I broke down the front of the pan, but it still is hard for me to access the screws. The screws aren't typical screws but hex screws. The washer is so low to the ground that I can't get a socket wrench in there. It would be tight to get a regular screw driver in there and I could probably unscrew it if it were a normal screw but not a hex....
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Yikes. Let me see if I can get ahold of whirlpool tech assist and locate the code meaning for you unit so you don't have to do unnecessary work. Give me some time and I will get back with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok in the meantime I'm picking up a nut driver with a flexible arm to see if I can get in that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It only took three hours but I got the &$*#&% cover off. The error code is F9E1 which is Long Drain
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You still there ?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

I am here. Network went down on my end and just came back up a few minutes ago.

The long drain error means there is something inside the pump area and it will need to be cleaned out. All water in the machine will come out when you take the filter out of the pump. You should already be able to see the pump and the handle on the front of it. Turn the handle to unscrew it and check what is in the cleanout. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks I already did that. I did a youtube search while I was waiting for what the error code could possibly indicate and read the manual. I'm already on my second load. I found a whole bunch of lint type gook, a few children's socks and a pair of adult underwear. That seems to have solved the problem. Thank you.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem. Just make sure you clean that out every 3 months or so. It will keep the unit running better and longer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, good to know.... I wish that plate just snapped on.. those screws were awful. They were angled down which made it impossible for me to access them. It should have been a 10 minute job but because of that it turned into 3 hours. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I found these little push pins at Ace hardware that I put in mine to make it easier to come off. You could also use velcro in your situation. Either way would make servicing the unit easier.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Genius... Thanks. You put push pins into where the screws should go ? Also should I be checking where the water drains from the machine ? Is there some type of filter that is supposed to prevent large articles from getting in that could have possibly fallen off etc ?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
You only need to check the pump area. The drain part will be fine. I used the same holes the screws were in. I just took one of the screws up to the hardware store and chose the plastic push pins that were closest to that size. I have a whole package of them just in case one breaks.