Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Bosch electric dryer model WTA3510UC makes a groaning noise

Customer Question

My Bosch electric dryer model WTA3510UC makes a groaning noise that varies in noise level from low to irritatingly loud.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

when you say a lot of lint where was the lint ? where did you clean ? most likely you have a buildup in the blower assembly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was all over the inside with not much near the motor.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
there is a blower on the right side bottom of the dryer it has a small belt going around it. did you check the blower for lint ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No lint, just a light coating of something on the vanes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay most likely theres lint in and own the blower wheel. this throws the blower out of balance and can get worse at times. you need to open the dryer up and check the blower assembly. also check the belt. let me know if that is the issue. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The blower is on the end of the shaft of the fan motor so there are no belts, etc. involved. The vanes are covered in carbon brush dust from the motor. The shaft passes thru a socket that supports the shaft. There doesn't appear to be any type of a bearing where the shaft passes thru the socket. The hole in the socket is larger than the shaft so either the socket is worn or some type of bearing or packing is gone. The hole in the socket is still perfectly round, not indicating wear, and is approx. 1/8 inch bigger in diameter than the shaft. The parts list does not show any type of bearing to support the shaft thru the socket, just a hole in the socket.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
does the shaft move ? does it feel loose? like the motor in worn ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The shaft can be moved up a little. It doesn't feel sloppy.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, there is a belt around the drum is it worn ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay check the model # XXXXX on the machine itself. what I'm bringing up shows a blower belt. I may have the wrong machine up. can you do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WTA 3510 UC/13 8201 vented Bosch Axxis electric dryer
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay I have the right model up and its showing the blower belt. ? strange, heres a link. http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts?s=t-WTA3510UC%2F13-%3d%3d take a look. the 8201 at the end doesn't matter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay their showing 17 as the blower belt when its actually the drum belt I believe thats why I was confused. check the pulley if thats good its the rear drum bearing # XXXXX . thats all it could be if the motor and belt are good. let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The blower belt actually does run off the blower motor but it runs another pulley that turns the drum belt. No slop in the pulleys. Only movement is the fan motor shaft.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
if theres play in the motor that may be the issue, the hotter it gets it may be making the noise. I would check that rear bearing assembly first however.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can you check it without replacing it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you need to remove the drum and check it for wear. sometimes you can tell by pulling the drum in and out. is there a lot of play ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not a lot of play in the drum in any direction
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well , I'll tell you I'm thinking the motor is the issue, Its difficult to say but theres no wheels in this model so theres very few things that can cause that.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I disconnected the belt and ran the dryer. The noise is definetly from the motor. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your welcome. thanks Bryan