Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Thermador cooktop SGSCV36G. No ignitors spark and

Customer Question

I have a Thermador cooktop SGSCV36G. No ignitors spark and power light is off. Can manually light burners and after several minutes the light will go on and the ignitors work fine. In some cases it may work fine for days..then not?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

your spark module is faulty, if this does this on all the burners, you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Spark-Module/486771/1012577 check all the connections on it first before ordering it. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply. The spark module is where I was heading also but didn't want to spend the $160+ and not have that be the problem without some confirmation. If the spark module doesn't solve the problem is the $30 refunded?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes if you want. also they site I sent you to has a full refund policy so you can send it back no questions asked. If if was one of the spark switches then the others would work. you have 30 days to come back at no additional charge to continue also. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

Received and installed recommended part on Friday. Cooktop was working prior to install and worked after install until this am...no spark and no red 'on light'. Same issue as before...I lit the burner manually and after running for a few minutes...the light goes on and the cooktop works as it should. Apparantly the new spark module isn't the answer. Any thoughts?

Bill

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is it just one burner ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. They either all work or they don't. Right now they're all working. You just never know when they won't. Any thoughts on why they will start working after the burner has been lit manually and the flame has been on for several minutes? Some background...the cooktop would do this occasionally (once every few months) over the past year or so. In the last month it's become a several times a week issue.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
this is such an unusual problem. we don't see this really. I would think there has to be a bad connection somewhere in the wiring harness or at one of the switches. these switches run in sequence so there may by a natural issue. check all the wiring and the switches for the burners, take HQ contact cleaner and clean the contacts on the switches also. if one of these has corrosion that could cause it,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your responses yesterday. I'll try that next.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked and cleaned all switches. micro switch on #4 was a little iffy but can't see how that would affect all burner igniters...i'll replace it. Since we know it's not the spark module, I'm wondering about the gas simmer controller. Everything seems to go in and out of that but i'm not exactly sure what it does. On another note...is it possible for one defective switch to kill all igniters?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Actually if the switches are run in a sequence in other words run through each other one switch can mess up all the switches, on the other hand if it's running from the simmer control that could be the issue also, it's very hard to tell because I can't pull up the wiring diagram for this particular unit, depending on how this is wired it could be that the neutral is wired through the switches in if the neutral fails all the switches will fail. Unfortunately I'm sorry the ignition module didn't work but on a brighter note you can return that if you bought it at the site I sent you to, no questions asked they don't even care if it's been hooked up so if you want to you could return that. I would replace that one switch you were talking about and see if that makes a difference. Let me know, I'll stick with you as long as I can on this, it's very difficult to detect the problem without being there however, some of these issues are very difficult to track down. Thanks and talk again soon, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Bryan. Tough to diagnose an electrical issue without the wiring diagrams, especially on this cooktop. I'll figure it out. Appreciate your time, too bad we couldn't find the fix.

Bill

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thanks Bill, I'm truly sorry we couldn't find the issue. let me know if you do find it, thanks and very best wishes. Bryan