Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

We have a Whirlpool refrigerator mfg date 2-97 Model ET18TMXDW05 Serial

We have a Whirlpool refrigerator mfg date 2-97
Model ET18TMXDW05
Serial EG1021005
There is either water or ice (depending on the setting) on all shelves and on the bottom of the refrigerator. At setting #3, we have ice, setting #2, we get water leaking.
What do you suggest?
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX water is actually coming from inside the freezer, this situation occurs when the defrost drain is plugged up. The defrost drain is located inside the freezer behind the rear panel. To repair this problem the defrost drain needs to be thoroughly cleared of ice and the drain line completely flushed. To access the drain the rear panel inside the freezer needs to be removed. Letting it defrost on its own usually does not solve the problem unless you are sure the drain is thawed out completely and flushed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wouldn't you still need to unplug and thaw the ice?
That is one way, you could also use a hair dryer or a small hammer and tap the ice with that to break it up in chunks and remove it that way, which is the method I use. Then once the ice is removed the drain can be cleared using very hot water to thaw it out and flush it. If you let it thaw on its own by unplugging it that could take 2-3 days to completely thaw it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

Are you fairly sure this is the problem? Not a thermostat or anything else?

Yes I am sure, on your particular unit that is a very common problem, if you have an ice maker it could come from that but more than likely it's a plugged drain. The thermostat wouldn't cause a water leak. If it was the ice maker you would notice ice buildup under or around it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. How do I save this answer as a reference? This is my first time asking a question.
This will be saved in your question list automatically just remember your log in information and you can view it at any time, you can also copy and save the link to view it directly.