Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

I now have a kenmore refrig. side by side, Both freezer and

I now have a kenmore refrig. side by side, Both freezer and refrig units seem to work well but the question I have is that a have about 1/2" of ice built up on bottom of freezer. I pulled the back plate off, Fan is running fine and coil only show a Light cover of frost on them. Also I would like to know if the fan motor is suppose to stop running when ever comp. shuts down.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

When you pulled the back cover off of the coils, was there ice build up under the coils also?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No but at the bottom there is a drain pan and that was frozen up which I suspect water to back up from drain hole into freezer
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
Thats the area I was referring to. The defrost drain is the culprit and it will have to be cleared out to cure this issue. You can use a hair dryer to clear the excess ice from the top and then you can use steaming hot water from the microwave(1-2 cups at a time) to defrost the actual drain. Do this until the drain flows freely and pulls all standing water out of the drain pan. Then you can clean the ice out of the bottom of the freezer and you shouldn't have that issue in the future.