Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a sub zero model 632 side by side. The freezer side

I have a sub zero model 632 side by side. The freezer side is working great the refrig side will only cool to 43 degrees. The condenser is clean, the freezer side coils are not iced up and the refrig side and freezer compressors seams to both be running. Is there a door that air flows to the refig side from the freezer side and where is it? Or what could be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

This unit has independently cooled compartments with two compressors.

Robert :

Look on the back wall of the refrigerator compartment, about halfway down on the left side and see if there is an ice buildup on the wall.

Robert :

Also, Open the door and push in on the door switches. Make sure the fan in thre refrigerator compartment comes on.

Customer:

I have looked at the fins and they are clean with no ice

Robert :

Did you test the fan and see if it was running properly?

Customer:

I have pushed the two switches and the light goes out with the one switch and the second switch turns on the fan. It works yes

Robert :

Ok. If the coils are not icing, the switch is working and the fan is blowing, that only leaves one issue. These units have individual fill valves on the compressor. They are notorious for leaking due to vibration. You probably are having that issue and the unit will need to be charged freon and have the stem valve replaced.]

Customer:

just reread your question on ice build up on refrig. side and checked. no ice but half way down wet. there are no fins just smooth wall on refig side

Customer:

Are there coils on the refrig side I can check?

Robert :

I have had to do this myself on alot of Sub Zero units. We just had to eliminate the other possibilities first. The moisture on the panel that you are talking about is from the coils behind the smooth panel. This is also a sign that the unit is low on freon. This moisture will eventually turn into a block of ice as the freon gets lower and the compressoer runs for longer times to compensate for the temp loss.

Customer:

Are we back to needing freon and stem valve?

Robert :

Yes. That is what needs to be done from my experience with these units.

Customer:

My local guy can do that but how will he know when it is full? I see no place to connect gauges. Just one inlet valve

Robert :

It will have a valve stem on each compressor. They usually have some colored tape over the ends that say something about factory service only.

Customer:

Yes I see that but how much does he add?

Robert :

If you local guy can charge the unit then he can use the gauges to check the freon level. On Sub Zero units, they run at about 2-4 lbs of pressure. This can be seen on the gauges he uses.

Customer:

Thanks will try

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.