Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

I bought a supposedly new jenair JEC0530ads cooktopfrom my

Customer Question

I bought a supposedly new jenair JEC0530ads cooktopfrom my neighbors son. Before installing it I hooked it up to plug into my 220 outlet in the shop. As soon as I plugged it in I hear what sounds like a vent blower and that is all. None of the touch buttons respond, and nothing heats up or lights up.HELP
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like you may have the oven connected incorrectly to the 240 volts. The only thing that will stop all the burners form heating is lack of power from the power supply. There is no cut out that will stop all the burners at the same time, just one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put a meter on my line and am getting 220 going into the wires comming out of the flex going into the cooktop
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok, then the wires are connected in the right order or something like that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ground hooked to ground, black hooked to black, and red hooked to white
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea what colors are what coming from your house, but it's not connected correctly if you're getting 240 volts between two of them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
either leg to ground is 120 and red to black (power leg to power leg) is 240. That is the same reading I get in every 220 outlet in the house and shop. The top is rated 120/240 and is wired accordingly all other 220 equipment likes it.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

The Cooktop has a red, black, white and ground wire coming off of it. What did you do with the white wire?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The cooktop has a red, black, and bare ground wire comming out of the flex. There is no white wire. I have a standard 3 wire 240 plug with two power legs (black and white) with white remarked as red since they uses standard black/white romex. I hooked the black and red comming out of the cooktop each as a power leg and the grounds together. there are only 2 wires and a ground comming out of the cooktop
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
That is odd. Every cooktop built over the last 15 years is supposed to have the four wire configuration coming out of the cooktop. I know alot of the units have the white wire and the ground wire tied together but you would be able to see the white wire. WIthout that wire, you have no neutral in the unit and it will not heat without the neutral.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pulled the flex off while I was waiting to hear back from you and there is no white wire exiting the bottom of the cooktop. I could try open up the underside of the cooktop and see if there ever was a white wire
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I would check it out. Something is kinda fishy here. You may want to talk to the neighbors son.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A little checking with the neighbor shows that the kid has left for LA. Just going over the wiring diagram that was on the bottom of the unit and it shows only a black, red and bare ground wire in the cable so that is how it is suposed to be wired
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the serial number on the unit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
13195995NP
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

That unit was manufactured in August 2008. It was one of the last put out by the actual Maytag corporation before they sold out to Whirlpool.

Looking at the wiring diagram I see that this unit does have a high limit thermostat on it(which is why it doesn't have the white wire). If this unit was hooked up incorrectly or it had a surge to it, this high limit could have popped. Look at the schematic in the lower right hand corner and you will see the limit. You will need to test it for continuity. You can also temporarily bypass it to test the unit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will check that and get back to you, looks like we are on the right track tho. Unit is in pristine shame with no wire nut marks on the ground or power wires, suppose the ends could have been snipped. I just wonder where it has been for the last3-4 years? It does say maytag on the tag tho. I will run right out and chech it, bak in a few. By the way, why does the fan run all of the time when the burners aren't even on?

Thanks,

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
The fan could be running because the high limit is popped. That is a safety feature to keep the components cool.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A little confused by the diagram, but the only thing that looks like a switch (also not ceramic and connected to a burner and next to the top) is screwed to the side on the electronics box. It has a red wire in from the outside power and the other post has two joined red wires going to the electronics central box. I have continuity across the posts with wires attached and with them disconected.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
That sounds like you found the hi limit switch on your unit. Looking at the wiring diagram I cannot see anything else, other than the control board, that could be at fault for the issues you are having. The only way to confirm that is to check the wires going from the conduit to the board. If the board is getting the full 240V at the connection then that would confirm that the board is bad. If not then you will need to trace the wiring back and see where the power loss is. If it is the board then you may not be happy because it is 226 dollars for the replacement. If you find out it is the board and you want to order it, the part number is XXXXX Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Robert, I will check it uder power.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

You sound really handy but please be careful. I don't want you getting hit by that electricity.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well looks like I have power past the switch and in the few places that I could wiggle my probe down into the connectors to the circut board there was 220 across the legs. ;-(. Is the $226 for the entire circut board or are there aditional parts that I would need? I can't see anything else that could be the problem. Power to the circut board and no lights or burners activating. Any other words of wisdom, and where is the best place to order the circut board? Is it possible to speak with you later if this isn't the fix?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

I found a new one on ebay for 99 dollars with a 14 day return policy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JENN-AIR-RANGE-ELEC-CNTRL-PART-8507P200-60-/230686808428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b601596c

I hope that helps out. If you need to get ahold of me later just come back to this question link in your email. It is possibly in the spam folder. I will respond when I am online.

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for everything and thanks for the ebay link. Have you used their prodect? Any problems? I will sign off on this next time so you can get paid.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I have not used that actual persons page before but they have over 5000 transactions and a very high rating. I would not worry at all about problems and ebay will back you on any issue that may arise. It is worth it to me if you are saving over 100 dollars.