Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

We have a built in whirlpool oven, model RBS305PDB17 Serial

We have a built in whirlpool oven, model RBS305PDB17 Serial # XXXXX

Our oven buzzes while pre heating. Sounds like it is coming from the front air vent blower. It onlyk buzzes while pre heating, after pre heating, the buzzing goes away, any idea what is causing the buzzing sound and what is needed to fix it?

Thanks for your help.

Carl
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

This may be a current draw buzz on the transformer located on the board.

Robert :

Have you noticed if the buzz occurs on the self clean cycle?

Customer:

just moved here to this house, haven't self cleaned it yet

Robert :

I would try that and see if it does. Just leave the unit on for a couple of minutes and then cancel the cycle. This will confirm the issue.

Customer:

Stand by, I'll give it a quick try

Robert :

ok\

Customer:

Yes, it also buzzes when cleaning

Robert :

Ok. It is just a high voltage noise that will only occur in those instances. The replacement part is kinda pricey so is it something you can live with or would you like me to get you a part number?

Customer:

Is the transformer just touching the metal parts and making the noise?

Robert :

It is not touching metal, it just vibrates more than it should. The entire casing is made of aluminum so it buzzes because of that vibration. You might be able to deaden the noise by turning the breaker off, opening the control panel area and securing any loose metal. The unit will eventually fail but this could be years from happening.

Customer:

I figured that would be my next step. Just in case, what is the part number needed and cost?

Robert : (NNN) NNN-NNNNis the part number and it is about 200 dollars.
Robert :

The transformer is on the main control board just so you know what you are ordering(if you have too)

Customer:

ok, thanks for the help, have a good evening!

Customer:

BTW, where is the place I need to order the part from?

Robert :

I would get it at www.searspartsdirect.com

Robert :

That is the best place for price. You can also try www.amazon.com. Sometimes they have parts at really good prices.

Robert :

Sorry about the delay. Food was boiling over, lol.

Customer:

Ok, I've located a couple of places, thanks for the help!

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.