Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

my maytag performa washing machine wont spin. the clothes are

my maytag performa washing machine wont spin. the clothes are still soaking wet. I checked the belt at the bottom of the washer. it is a little loose but is not cracked or shinny. when in the spin cycle the drum doesnot spin but the washing machine agitator is in motion. the machine drains all the water from the drum, so that works well. do you think the belt is worn. the belt has a lot of play in it .It is not tight.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 4 years ago.
Welcome..The washer is agitating as normal when the washer is set to spin..?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i ran the spin cycle with the front cover of the machine off. the belt was spinning well.
You stated the washer was agitating in the spin cycle correct..?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
The belt is turning..and the washer is agitating in the spin cycle..This means the transmission is at fault..Take a close look at the transmission pulley..If it is spinning then the belt is ok..Those belts are made to run with slack..There is a spring tensioner on the motor plate which keeps light tension on the motor and pulleys.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you mean the transmission is faulty and needs to be replaced.
If the transmission is at fault..I would not put the money into this washer..If you have the cover off..Start the washer..Wait until the agitation cycle begins..Look at the transmission pulley..Keep note as to what direction the pulley is moving..Then when it gets to the rotating cycle..Look at the pulley again..It should be spinning in the opposite direction as it was in the agitation cycle.