Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Gas stove will not keep temp after preheat. Did some research

Gas stove will not keep temp after preheat. Did some research but want to be sure I get correct part first time (cause $$$$) so please be sure of your answer. OK, Gas oven heats to temp, preheat light comes on,gas turns off. As it tries to keep temp (I can hear clicking sound) a bright light (I suppose the thing that ignites the gas) comes on near the rear of the oven burner for a minute or so but no gas ever comes out to get lit, then the light (igniter or whatever) turns off. I say it is trying cause the light (I guess igniter) repeats this on & off process each time I hear the click but gas never comes out thus oven cools down. I have to turn the dial to off or broil, then back to bake which gets the preheat light to turn off then it will preheat to proper level again but the process starts all over again. Model RGB746HED3WH. Your turn...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

if this is not relighting you need to replace the igniter. when these get weak they don't relight the flame . replace the igniter, heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Hot-Surface-Glow-Bar-Igniter/WB13K21/2494?modelNumber=RGB746HED3WH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just being sure. Please answer these questions.
If it is the igniter, what is the glowing light that begins after the first click I hear?

If it is just the igniter not lighting the gas, why don't I hear the gas (or smell) begin to flow during this "maintain temp" (click, glowing begins for about 1 minute,click,glowing turns off) stage.

Lastly if igniter, why does burner ignite properly everytime during the initial preheat mode?

I know it sounds like I doubt your answer, I truly don't. I just have these questions flowing through my head.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
when these get hot they don't draw enough amps to relight the burner, sometimes you will smell some gas come out but it doesn't light. and the glow you see after the first click is the igniter, but that doesn't mean its good. replace it and everything will work fine.