Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

After I initiated the "clean" mode on my Maytag range it shows

Customer Question

After I initiated the "clean" mode on my Maytag range it shows an F9-2 error code and the doors remain locked. I have attempted to "cancel" several times, however the error remains. I waited until the ovens had completely cooled before I attempted to cancel. I am wondering if unplugging the range will reset the computer and unlock the doors. thanks. Sandi
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

the error code is indicating a door latch issue.

F9:-2Latch, Unlock Upper Check for obstruction in door lock mechanism

you can try unplugging this but I'm not sure that will work. your door latch failed. very common . the real problem is getting this unlocked so you can change the latch assembly. would you have the model # ?

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I don't have the model number. It is a free standing range with glass top and halogen burners, also has warming oven on top of regular oven.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is there a bottom drawer ? look in there for a model # XXX if so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no bottom drawer, just warming oven and regular oven, both of which are locked
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no bottom drawer, just warming oven and regular oven, both of which are locked.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh boy . thats a tough situation, the only thing you can try is pull the oven away from the wall and unplug it , remove the back panel and see if the door lock latch assembly is on the back. if so you can release the doors there if not unfortunately you should call a tech to get this open, you don't want to damage this further , you can try one more thing also. try putting this back into self clean if the controls respond and waiting 5 minutes then cancel it see if it unlocks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan, unplugging it worked! thank you! I found the model number on the nameplate in back. It is MER6770AAC
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats great. hopefully the clock just scrambled and it will be fine, this may have been a fluke, try bake and see if it works, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, bake works
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay great ! I wouldn't worry about it then, doesn't seem to be any damage. have a great day ! thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your very welcome.