Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE GSS25QSTA SS fridge that I saw had a build up of

Customer Question

I have a GE GSS25QSTA SS fridge that I saw had a build up of ice on the lower half. I removed the ice. It seems that the fridge is colder near the lower half and hot on the upper half. Can this be some blower or fan that has quit? I noticed a couple of days ago it was making a whistling sound.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is the problem in the freezer section or it freezing in the fresh food section ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well the problem was in the freezer or so I thought. what happened is that the ice in the ice tray started to melt. This made a lot of ice in the freezer nezr the bottem half. I did notice today that my vegetables are freezing in the fresh food drawer. and anything near the back freezes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is there frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, and the top is warm.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay when you defrosted this did you remove the panel ? do you think you can get the back panel off ? the one inside the freezer in the back ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I took it off. The coils back there are completely frozen.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay you have a defrost issue. do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't. Is there anything else I can do? will unpluging it for the day help?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well is it defrosted completely now or is the frost back ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its frozen now. I haven't unplugged it for a long period of time. Just and hour yesterday to see if it would reset or something.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well you can take the panel off and defrost the coils with a hair dryer to get this to work again , the problem is it will freeze up again in about three weeks, you need to replace the defrost thermostat. what I would do is defrost it and put the back cover back on, then order this. heres a link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/WR50X10068/1170024?modelNumber=GSS25QSTASS its only $9.00 and when you receive it take the panel off again and defrost it then replace the thermostat, its clipped to the top of the coils. you'll see it. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

It's been a while since I had time to follow up with this fridge. As I have a second fridge I have been using that one. I ordered and installed the part you suggested. It is still the same. It is cold near the bottom half of the fridge. The temp in the freezer does not read colder that 27 and the fridge side is at 47. But there is still frost on the coils that builds up in a matter of hours. anything stored near the bottom half of the fridge will freeze in the freezer, and almost freeze in the other side. up near the top it is warm. the ice dispenser is also not working. any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, can you remove the panel inside the freezer again and tell me what the frost pattern looks like ? are all the coils frosted evenly ? or only some of them ? is it clogged up with frost or very little ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yesterday at one point I noticed the coils were frosted lighter and evenly from top to bottom. Now it is frosted up heavily near the top. The freezer temp is at -5 but the ice maker won't work and stuff near the top of the fridge won't freeze. the other side of the fridge temp is at 45.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is the fan in the freezer above the coils working ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Bryan.

No I don't think so. I haven't felt air circulate in the freezer or fridge for awhile. I placed my hand above the coils at the compartment that the light fixture is attached to, and I don't hear anything, or feel any air moving.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay if the fan isn't running thats probably the issue although you can't be sure without checking it for voltage with a volt meter whether its the fan of the main control board, the fan is 9.75 v dc so you need to see if its getting power. if so its bad. if not the control board is bad. remember to push the light switch button in when testing this.