Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

2004 Profile Side by Side stopped working. No lights except

2004 Profile Side by Side stopped working. No lights except interior compartments. Control and display all inoperative. I just want confirmation from someone that it is probably not worth repairing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

It's probably worth repairing, can you get me the full model number? It will be on a tag on the inside either on the wall or on the ceiling of the refrigerator section. If you can get me that I will check it for you thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,

MODEL #PSF26NGP8 WW
SERIAL#SG434382

Just curious if you knew the approximate cost for a repair just so i can inform the wife. She will ask thinking i just want a new refrigerator.
thanks XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay Brian, good name by the way! If nothing works but the lights inside when you open the door the main control board has failed, this you can replace yourself so you're not looking at any labor costs if you want to repair it yourself the board itself is, $170.85 of course if you search the net you can probably find a lot cheaper, these boards are a plug-and-play which means there's just plugs the plug into it does nothing special you have to do, it's located on the back of the refrigerator if you pull away from the wall you will see a 10" x 8" panel, it's behind that panel, the part number is. WR55X10942 and the site I am going to give you has them in stock if you wish to order one, so total cost with shipping would be under $200 if you want to do this yourself. His a link to a you can order the part if you do wish to, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=PSF26NGPBWW of course if you wife is like my wife She will want a new refrigerator so this is probably all for not ! LOL anyway well wishes and I hope this information helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,
thanks for the answer and the link to the control board. It might be worth the $200 just to see the look on everyone's face that i could fix it. I was going to try this place in town real quick it is called first source and if they don't have it i will give your link a click.

Thanks again for the information
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome Brian, you have a great day and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bryan,
following up with the main board replacement it has been approx 20 hours since being powered on. Both sides are cooling but have not reached the set temperature. Is it possible i connected the wrong side to each place on the board. Or my gut first thought is dust and debris under the unit blocking air flow.
Thanks
Brian
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

they factory says 24 hours but you should be cool enough by now. do you know what the temps are now ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

display on freezer side is 15 down from 28 at 8:30 am

display on fridge side is 53 down from 57 at 8:30 am

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I would give it overnight and then see. it seems to be getting down there, it should be 0-8 in the freezer and around 37 in the fresh food section. how were the coils ? real dirty ? did you clean them ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have not checked but will be doing so right after home depot for new water line. I hat this part of moving these things. Didn't leak till i moved it last night. how can i connect to this from my home computer. i am now using a remote desktop session at work. and i got disconnected a few minutes ago. Is signing up for the monthly thing the easier thing. I just dont want to lose the dialog.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. I'll be here you have 30 to respond on this anyway so don't worry .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, finally got everything back together. overall dust was not as bad as i thought it might be. unit turned back on and cooling has started up again. Time powered off about 1 hour. Freezer temp up from 15 to 25. Refer side up from 53 to 55. I will not reconnect ice until zero in the freezer. I will reply again tomorrow afternoon.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay let me know whats the temps are this morning, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i think this one might be done. Freezer 16 Refer 54. Same reading as 8:30am today. There was no excessive build up of lint and dust around the coil. I blew it out just the same. Doors opened only at 8:30 and 5:40 today.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
wow its close but not close enough, is the fan in the freezer running ? how about the one in the back near the compressor is it running ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the compressor is the only thing running. i just tried setting the turbo chill and the other setting that get fans to turn on. Basically none of the interior fans are doing anything. Is it possible that the board connections are different with the replacement board. The number of the original board is not the same as the replacement. The original main board label has the following: WKKT Model No. 0158-01-02

GEA part no. 200D4852G010

Do you think turning it off reconnecting everything and restarting would do any good? I also think the replacement board has additional contacts for different machines. One board catches all kind of part.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay , give me a minute. I'll look that info up. i believe though the plugs only fit in the corresponding connectors on the board, the board is correct, the plugs have only so many holes for the correct number of pins. check that though and make sure the pins all line up with the plugs. number wise.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bryan

just wanted to add that the replacement board WR55X10942 has a 4 pin male and my original board does not. It appears to me at J14 on the main board above J2. Of note the back of the unit where the board is located is warm. the compressor sounds like it is running. No interior fans at all which leads me to think the extra pins at J14 might control the interior fans.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the extra J14 pin is a plug for different function on a different style refrigerator, they designed these boards to fit different refrigerators. its the right board, not sure yet whats going on. It is possible the board you received is bad though. let me know when your back on today. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

I learned that new replacement does not always mean new in working condition. After a quick trip back to 1st source they just handed me a new replacement no questions asked. They said it happens!!

Temps after 3 hours Freezer 1 Refer 36. All systems functioning. All controls functioning as well.

Do you think there is any chance that i could get GE to reinburse me for the control board? I did some additional research last night and GE recalled my original control board back in 2006. There was some letter to service persons but not customers.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
its possible, I would call them Monday and see. I'm glad its working and we didn't give up on it ! good job ! I've seen that before. have a great weekend and thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician