The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

My Maytag Fridge is a double door ,bottom freezer model MFF2558VEM.

My Maytag Fridge is a double door ,bottom freezer model MFF2558VEM. It started leaking out the freezer door and building a layer of ice on the freezer floor. I closed off the water supply to the ice maker last week but there was no change. I concluded that the water must come during the defrost cycle and it was diverted away from the evaporator pan into the freezer.
Where in the air passages can thi occur and what is the cure?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't.
Ok you have a plugged up condensate drain line.
To resolve the problem remove the back cover inside of the the freezer compartment. At the bottom of the evaporator coils is a drain hole. Flush it out with a turkey baster and some boiling hot water. Once it is clear the water that is melted off of the evaporator coils during the defrost cycle will once again drain into the evaporation tray above the compressor. The heat from the compressor then evaporates the water back into the ambient air of the kitchen.

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
After you accept, please leave feedback.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll clear the freezer first thing in the morning after I find enough coolers etc. to handle it all and get into it to open the back cover. There must be considerable gasket leakage to produce this much water since it collects between the doors and runs over the freezer light switch where it freezers the switch in the ice maker circuit modeI have to thaw it to get the light operational. If this works I'll gleefully remit your fee.

No problem. If you have any problems getting to the drain please let me know.
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances