Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a GE refrigerator, Model # XXXXX and the ice

I have a GE refrigerator, Model # XXXXX and the ice maker supply line is cracked and leaking at the solenoid valve. I cut the 1/4" line and spliced in a new section of line but when I tried to attach it to the solenoid valve, it is not retained or sealed when the nut is installed to the valve. Am I missing a sleeve or seal to be used with the nut? The parts list shows the new nut p/n is PS304401.
Submitted: 2 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX there is a sleeve that does go with the nut, when the nut and sleeve are tightened down the line cannot be pulled out, make sure you have the right size also.

Tim Alan :

There are 2 different sizes of lines on the unit 5/16 and 1/4 inch

Customer:

The line I'm working on is 1/4 inch.

Tim Alan :

ok good most hardware stores ll have these also, very hard to find them in GE parts diagrams

Customer:

Does the sleeve come with the nut or is it a separate part number?

Tim Alan :

Both, some nuts have the sleeve built into them and others are separate parts.

Tim Alan :

The sleeve is the seal and the clamp for the hose

Customer:

It looks like this nut has a sleeve built into it. Is it possible that this has hardened and is not squeezing down on the tubing?

Tim Alan :

Is it brittle? I cut away until i get to the flexible non brittle part if its hard it won't work.

Tim Alan :

When it's hooked up you shouldn't be able to pull the hose out when you tug on it it lightly

Customer:

When I hooked it up the new section of tube falls out of the nut.

Tim Alan :

falls out? does it slide in tigh at all?

Customer:

No. When I installed the nut, there doesn't seem to be any resistance on the tube. It pulls out easily.

Tim Alan :

It's either the wrong size or the ferrule is not in it.

Customer:

Do you think a hardware store would have a nut that fits the solenoid? I have a delrin sleeve that seems to be right for the tubing.

Tim Alan :

Yes that is were i pick up all my plastic fittings, menards, home depot etc it is 1/4 inch clear plastic tubbing and the fittings are right by the tubing.

Tim Alan :

Ace hardware has them too

Customer:

OK. I'll give that a try.

Tim Alan :

Ok great have a great day

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service