Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

MAYTAG REFRIG MODEL LRTD21A-AH71F EVAPORATOR FAN QUIT WORKING....I

MAYTAG REFRIG MODEL LRTD21A-AH71F

EVAPORATOR FAN QUIT WORKING....I BOUGHT A REPLACEMENT...

HOW DO I GET TO THE OLD ONE TO REMOVE IT ?? APPARENTLY NOT AS SIMPLE AS I THOUGHT.

THANX.....TOM JUSTICE
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 2 years ago.
Welcome...Not to difficult of a job.First unplug the unit....If you have a ice maker installed..First remove the ice maker..Once the ice maker is removed..Then remove the screws at the back INSIDE wall of freezer..Tilt the wall from the top down..Disconnect the wires leading to the fan motor..Then remove the fan motor..Replace in reverse order..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mine is not built like that....I have had refrigeratorrs like that in the past but not this one.

The freezer compartment is molded all in one piece....both sides plus the back plus the top. Only the bottom is seperate.

The fan motor appears to be in a plastic housing drooping down from the bottom of the freezer compartment into the refrig compartment..

I have checked the model number and it is correct as labeled on a paper label in the refrig compartment on the left top of that compartment..

Let's try again okay....PLEASE .....

Thanx, Tom

OK great thats what i was wondering..This is a older model..Yours has the evaporator installed into the floor of the freezer..If you notice the divider between the fridge and the freezer..This is the part you need to remove..First remove the freezer door as the hinge bolts to the divider area..Once removed ..Remove the divider ..Then slide the floor out from the front of fridge..This will give you access to the evaporator coils..The defrost neater and the fan motor..Unfortunately this is one of the more difficult to repair due to the fact that the components are installed in the bottom of the freezer..Thanks Bob
Once you remove the separator plate..The floor of the freezer slides out to expose the fan motor Etc...Also please remember to use the accept option for my time helping you today..If you have any further questions i will be standing by..Thanks Bob

I see this question is still open..Please let me know if you have any further questions..If not once using the accept option pays me for my time helping you ..Thanks Bob

Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair