Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Hello. My Mothers 1950 Okeef and Merrit oven stopped working

Hello. My Mother's 1950 Okeef and Merrit oven stopped working after the power was shut off to install an outlet for a new cook top. The electrican said all power was restored and the gas cook top works fine. The oven's piolet is lit. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Does the pilot light get bigger when you turn the oven to bake? This oven will work with no power, so that is not the issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, the pilot stays the same.

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Okay, the thermostat has issues. Either the thermostat is not allowing the gas to the pilot assembly or the pilot tube is plugged. With the oven on, tap on the pilot assembly with a metal screwdriver and see if the flame increases then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thats good to know it is not a power thing.

I'll have to do it later, I'm not near the oven.

Should it ignite after I tap?

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

If the pilot tube from the thermostat is plugged near the p;pilot, where they usually plug, the flame should get bigger. If it does not, the thermostat is likely faulty. There are no parts available for this and the oven has no safety valve, so it may be a good time to look at replacing it.

Clicking the "ACCEPT" button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!