Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE side by side refrigerator model number GSD25JFTA. The temperature

GE side by side refrigerator model number GSD25JFTA. The temperature in the freezer section can vary between zero and fifty without the door being opened and closed. What part failed? And, is it easy to replace? Thanks.

Lou Kolb in Palmetto Bay, FL
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There are a few things that can cause this issue, but the key information to finding out what is wrong is to determine if EVERYTHING is shutting down when the freezer is warming up. That means, are all the fans, and compressor and everything stopped? Is the refrigerator dead silent? Or is it still runing but it's warm anyways?

Once you determine this, you can determine if your compressor is just shutting down, or if the unit may be going into defrost, or possibly a thermostat issue telling the refrigerator to shut off.

On this particular model, chances are things will continue to run and you'll just have a bad control board on the back of the refrigerator. This is a symptom to have when the relay to the comrpessor is starting to go bad on the control board. The control board would need to be replaced if the compressor is just shutting down but everything else is running.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning,

The temperature on the refrigator side is okay. Do you have a diagram you can send back on how to replace this control board? If so, just attach it. What is the degree of difficulty on a scale of one to ten with ten being the most difficult for this? Thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The control board literally takes about 10 minutes to change, it's a very very easy plug and play job. If you pull your refrigerator out and unplug it, there is an 8" x 11" sheet metal panel on the back of the refrigerator. Remove this panel and you will have access to swap out the control b oard. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.