Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

closed CS ms

Customer Question

My Maytag refridgerator md#msd2655heq is not cooling. Coil is warm and dry compressor tries to run and kicks off in about 10secs.Iread where a relay that runs the compressor could go bad.Could this be my problem and not the compressor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

I believe this particular model may have had a recall on the overload relay, so you might want to call Maytag and see if they will come out and repair this for free.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it a black box with 2 plug in prongs on the long side held on with a spring clip? if so it doesn't rattle.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
On the diagram in the link below, it's part nubmer 4 not the capacitor number 8.

And if it doesn't rattle then unfortunately it sounds like you need a new compressor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i heard the rattle in the part. got the new part. installed it. compressor won't run. Checked part number with supplier the part number is XXXXX Supplier said check compressor connections to ground. No continuity to ground.Does this mean compressor is okay?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no, there is no way to test the compressor unfortunately. There is no way to know if the piston is jammed inside or not, thats why you have to check the overload relay by shaking it. If the overload relay is new and the compressor still won't fire up, then you 100% have a bad compressor regardless of how the compressor has failed (siezed up, broken winding, etc). The compressor will need to be replaced at this point and that's a $550 repair.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I accept the 30 day free trail?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
yes, I believe I can forward that to the moderators and have them do that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But will this charge my credit card or will it be credited back with the free trial? I wasn't made aware of this offer untill I had applied for the answer and am not completely convinced my problem is solved since the supplier said to check to ground to check the compressor. No disrespect but need more info.FIRST TIME USER...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
after this question is accepted, I can forward it to the mods and they can check. This IS your problem at this time if you replaced the overload relay. You're asking parts suppliers how to test parts, that's the problem. They are not technicians like myself that actually work on appliances and know how to fix them. It's sort of like calling up Whirlpool customer service and asking them to help you troubleshoot your refrigerator. The only thing the people on the phone know is how to clean the filter and tell you to unplug and plug the unit back in.

As far as how the 30 day trial works, I can't tell you how it will be handled because I'm not customer service. Once the question is accepted I can continue answering your replies, but once I forward it to customer service to work on the free trial thing (since it wasn't originally selected), this question is locked and I can no longer reply to it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will accept and let you refer it to customer service. The free trial was not offered until I applied but appreciate your time and expertise. thank you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
unfortunately that is not possible, it has to be accepted first because the question is closed and can't be accepted after it's changed to customer service. They will correct the charges if they can add the trial period on or let you know how the charges work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Then I will contact customer service tomorrow. Thank you and good night
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok well good luck to you and please don't forget to accept as I only get paid for my time helping you if you accept.