Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

the freezer on our side by side GE is not cooling below 20

the freezer on our side by side GE is not cooling below 20 degrees
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the compressor warm and vibrating in the back and is that fan operating back there?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok that leaves the freezer fan and the coils in the freezer, are the coils lightly coated white from top to bottom and the freezer fan operating?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The freezer fan is operating but I don't see the freezer coils. I just checked and the refrigerator side is 50 degrees.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
At the rear inside of the freezer down to about 2 and one half feet from the floor is a metal panel, I believe that panel has 4 screws in it. The coils are behind that. You should unplug the refrigerator before you remove that panel.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No frost on the coils
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats very bad. You have a coolant leak.

You will have to call a licensed tech in to find the leak and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak . They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. But be sure and call, prices vary for this type of repair greatly from company to company.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.