Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

My range made a loud p0op then we discovered that the bottom

Customer Question

My range made a loud p0op then we discovered that the bottom element had a hole in it ordered it and installed it but still NO heat. What do I do now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXX, X will try and help you with your issue. Can you please post the complete model number of your unit, it is found on a metal swing out tag attached to the rear of the control panel, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MODEL NUMBER mer6751aaw
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you, do you have a volt ohm meter to check power to the element? Is it just the element that popped that is not powering up? The power supplied to the element is controlled by the electronic control and if the element shorted or blew it very well could have taken out the actual control. If you can check for power to the element it should have 240 volts to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm checking to see if there is power to the wires...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm checking to see if there is power to the wires...There is no power to the ohm meter. Now what?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
No power to the lower element is that correct, do you have power to all the other elements ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the upper element oven works and the stove top works
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok the electronic control is bad that is what powers up the element, when a element shorts out like that it often does take out the control also, the repair is to replace the control.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the control in the upper part of the stove so to get to it you have to take off the rear panel?

Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Electronic control

PART NUMBER: W10166967 this is the control it is accessed by removing the rear top panel all the connections and screws are easily accessible from the back.

Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Overlay

PART NUMBER: 74009993 you will need this to it's the overlay for the buttons on the front of the control

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The buttons on the front panel all work shows the oven is on and the lights work. do i need the second part for the overlay?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The overlay is just a plastic sticky cover that you may be able to peel off and reuse but most of the time it does not come off.