Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My refrigerator which is 3 years old is making a lot of weird,

My refrigerator which is 3 years old is making a lot of weird, loud noises. This began about 10 days ago. The refrigerator is a Kenmore Elite Bottom Mount. It makes a knocking sound, a clicking sound and sometimes a loud thud (loud enough to wake me up from a nap and startle my animals). What might be causing this? I have never had the automatic ice maker hooked up. Thanks for your help!

Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information? Is the icemaker turned on, even though the water line is not hooked up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX I don't think the icemaker is turned on because I bought the refrigerator new and I never turned it on or hooked it up. I'm not sure how to check that. The noise also seems to happen only right before a motor or compressor starts. Thanks for your help.

Great, thank you! The sounds you are hearing are likely all related to the compressor. The clicking is likely the overload on the compressor. Does the thumping sound happen as the compressor turns off?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll have to wait until the cycle begins again to answer your question.
Okay, that is fine. Once it begins running, allow it to run for about a minute and then shut the thermostat off and see if the knock sounds when you turn it off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The knocking starts for about a minute before the motor/compressor (I'm sorry, but I don't know the difference) starts. When I opened the door to the refrigerator the knocking stopped. When I opened the drawer to the freezer, the knocking stopped. When I turned the thermostat off there were no noises. These noises are less loud than they were when they first started 10 days ago.

Does the noise seem to be coming from inside the refrigerator? Open the door and hold the door switch closed and see if the noise is present near the top of the refrigerator compartment when the unit is turned on or off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will do that on the next cycle.
You can turn the control off and listen if you want or wait until it cycles next, it won't matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The noise was coming from the left side of the refrigerator. When I moved the lever/bar for the icemaker down or completely up it stopped. What is the correct placement for that lever/bar when you don't have your icemaker hooked up?

Also I turned the refrigerator off and then on again, but there was no noise. I would like to wait and see, throughout the day if the noise occurs again.

Thank you so much

Okay, the icemaker was in the on position and dry cycling. The bail arm needs to be in the up position to prevent it from initiating a harvest cycle. I do believe you have fixed your problem. Keep me posted, though. Once you accept, you may post back to this question thread for 30 days at no additional charge.

Clicking the "ACCEPT" button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!