Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Our Whirlpool clothes dryer, Model LEQ8858JT0, ran for about

Our Whirlpool clothes dryer, Model LEQ8858JT0, ran for about 2 or 3 seconds and then stopped and will not restart. I have tried various different settings but get no response when I press the on button. Do you know what is wrong?

Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Does it make any noise at all, like a humming or buzzing noise? Does the start button feel funny when you push it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, it does not make any sound at all. And the start button feels normal when I push it.

Okay, thank you. Unplug the dryer and remove the back panel from the dryer and locate the thermal fuse, number 7 in the picture below. It will have two wires going to it, likely blue. Remove those wires and tape them together. Plug the dryer back in and see if it will then start. Let me know what happens.

Diagram for LEQ8858JT0

Also, open the door an in the upper RH corner of the door opening is the door switch activator. Push it in and see if it clicks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the back off the dryer, but I will have to go to a neighbors house to pick up the small ratchet set they borrowed for some of the bolts that are located too deep for a wrench.

If you have the back off, you won't need to go any deeper yet. Just pull the wires off the thermal fuse and tape them together.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did it and the dryer works. Does this mean that I should remove the fuse and replace it?
Yes, the fuse will need to be replaced, but we need to find out why it blew. With the dryer plugged in, turn the timer to a 30 minute Timed Dry cycle with the door closed. Do not start the machine. See if the heating element gets warm with the dryer not running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. The heating element seems to have remained off.

Okay, great! Replace that fuse and make sure your venting is clear. Make sure the flexible line behind the dryer does not get pinched and is as short and straight as possible when you push it back. The part is available at the link below, nice job!

Thermal Fuse $6.99

Clicking the "ACCEPT" button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!