Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

MY over the stove microwave has worked fine no problems since

Customer Question

MY over the stove microwave has worked fine no problems since I purchased it in Dec 2005, However it suddenly quick heating.. all other electrical systems work fine. There is a unusual sound when I start it and than it seems to be ok, however nothing gets warm.
the serial # XXXXX XXXXX MMV420AW(all I can get as rest is wore off) do you have any answers,, Love this microhood, and it was a real issue getting it mounted over stove,hate to replace it if it is cost efficient to replace a part. thanks Barbara UdeanXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert : Hello
Customer:

Hello

Robert : It sounds like the magnetron on your unit has failed. When this happens you quo here a strange noise at the beginning of the heating process. This noise is the transformer trying to send the amplified power to the magnetron but it is not processing the power correctly. That is the easiest way I can explain it to you. Let me look up pricing and availability on this part for you.
Customer:

Hi that sounds like it might be the issue/ let me know the pricing and availability and difficulty of repair.. barb

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Hi did you want me to hold on while you research the pricing and availability or not barb

Robert :

I am looking it up now. The model number you have is not complete so I have to cross check a few things. I am working on that right now for you.

Customer:

thanks

Robert :

Is there a gap between MMV420 and the AW?

Customer:

Hi yes it appears two numbers or letter between the first and 2nd parts of that model #

Robert :

I have MMV4205AAW, MMV4203AAW and MMV4205BAW.

Robert :

The 4205 and the 4203 have different magnetrons so which would you say closely matches yours by looking at it?

Customer:

Hi thanks it appears to be MMV4205BAW

Robert :

Ok. Let me check that out.

Customer:

thanks

Robert :

The part number for the mag is W10126786 and it is about 110 dollars. Kinda pricey sine new units start at 249. Would you like to proceed withthe repair?

Customer:

How difficult is the replacement

Robert :

You have to take the microwave down and remove the outer cover. It has a capacitor in it that will need to discharge so I recommend letting the unit sit, unplugged, overnight. If not allowed to discharged and you accidentally touch it, it will hurt you. Once you get the outer cover off and locate the Magnetron on the right side you wil only have to disconnect a set of wires to the mag, a small fuse(on some models) and srews/nuts. Pull the old part, clean the area it mounts and make sure it is dry, install the new part. Not super hard.

Robert :

Sound like something you can handle?

Customer:

Hi just waiting a minute for my at home mechanic to decide,, should have an answer in a few seconds thanks for holding barb

Robert :

No problem.

Customer:

Hi is this microwave pretty much standard size, if you know, how difficult will it be to replace so it fits the same brackets and space

Robert :

They have all been pretty standard since 2000. The measurements and the mounting plate on the wall haven't changed since 2003. It is very likely that you may be able to pull the old unit and use the existing hardware on the new one.

Customer:

thanks,, I think I will just replace it and not take a chance on something going on it.. thanks so much your help was appreciated and aided in my decision. sometimes easier in this throwaway world to just replace. thanks again barb udean

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.