Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi I have a washer that is just over 1yr old. It has stopped

Customer Question

Hi I have a washer that is just over 1yr old. It has stopped doing the spin cycle. it agitates appropriately, but not spin, also, it drains properly too. Troubleshooting I've tried: 1.unplugged for 2 minutes; 2. "motor reset" - opening and closing the lid 6 times in sequence...
Please advise! I have seen online mentions of replacing motor brushes, any other thoughts? Thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is a GE top load washer I am assuming since you stated the reset sequence was opening and closing the lid 6 times? Run the washer when it should be spinning and is the red light on the top of the motor flashing? Is it solid? If it's flashing, how many times does it flash?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response, ill have to look for that. Yes it is a top load hotpoint washer. Where is the light located on the motor? If i take the front off will the unit still run to see this light? Please advise. Note: hotpoint washer made in canada by "mabe"?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
The light is located on the control board on the top of the motor if you have a control board on top of the motor. And Hotpoint is made by GE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Ill investigate right away.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok good luck.