Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Maytag dishwasher that I bought about 5 years ago...It

I have a Maytag dishwasher that I bought about 5 years ago...It was trouble-free until a few days ago, when it stopped washing the dishes properly. Dishes and cutlery come out with a grainy feeling on the surface and sometimes with visible stains...I have not changed my choice of detergent which is currently Sunlight Oxiaction.

What can I do to fix the problem? Please help me.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Does it sound like the water is moving as it always has? Is it like a white, chalky film?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like the water is moving..

The film has a chalky feeling, but I cannot cofirm it is white.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Take a look at this video and see if it looks to be the same results you are seeing. This has been a common, but easily resolved, complaint.

Click to watch video

Additive Lemi-Shine

Clicking the "ACCEPT" button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The detergent I am using is certainly phosphate free, but I have used it for several weeks now without trouble. The difficulty I'm experiencing is very recent. I will go out and purchase some Lemishine, but I'm not convinced it is the entire answer.

The cutlery is also coming out with a grainy feeling and has to be handwashed before use and Lemishine cannot be used with cutleryy in the machine.

Is there not a possibility of a machine malfunction?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
The only thing that would cause poor wash results are recirculation and water temperature. Poor recirculation is accompanied with a difference in the sound of the machine while running. Water temperature could certainly be an issue, but usually that is very noticeable. I would try the soap packs and Lemi'Shine and see if it helps. The minerals in the water can build up over time throughout the machine, so the problem will not materialize overnight. I would try the other products first and if you still have issues, we can proceed. You may post back at any time within 30 days after accepting at no additional charge. The first couple loads with the new detergent & additive will give you immediate results, so you should know right away if it works in your situation or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Some of the dishes and spoons come out just plain dirty. Maybe I should pay particular attention to the sound of the machine during the wash.

There are two propellors in the machine. What if they were not rotating properly?

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
There would be a sound change. Try running a cycle and see if you notice the water splashing against the door.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, one final question...If the Lemishine idea doesn't work, my wife insists we call in a repairman. Do you think we have to find a repairman through Maytag, or will any qualified dishwasher technician be satisfactory?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
This is a pretty basic machine, so any repairman will likely be equally efficient with it. I can help you disassemble the sump if you'd like. It is up to you. I would try the Lemi Shine first and see how it does, though.