Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Its not cold at all now on the refrigerator side. So i looked

Its not cold at all now on the refrigerator side. So i looked in the back and I sometime here a clicking sound.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mod. GS6SHAXMQ00
Ser. SR0630453
Date DE Fabr. 02-04
type 26SSA
i hope thats what you needed?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats the correct one thank you. There are 2 areas under and behind the refrigerator that could be clicking. Could you remove the lower rear panel of the refrigerator and touch the compressor on the top, is it possible for you to hold your hand there or is it too hot?

Also there is a box or a part attached to the side of the compressor, is that where the clicking sound is coming from? Take all the time you need I will be here. My day just started.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i already did that its hot on the compressor and the clicking sounds like its coming from the compressor.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to touch?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can't touch it for more then 5 sec. its HOT
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats a big clue that the compressor has mechanically failed or there is a blockage in the capillary tube which is the tiny tube back there that almost looks like a bare copper wire. You could try the replacing the parts on the side of the compressor but I doubt they will work. The heat is a really huge clue. It indicates the compressor is getting the power to operate but its not so the heat is building along with the load tripping the overload relay on the side of the compressor.

You will have to call a licensed tech in to either replace the compressor or clear the blockage and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system blockage repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a blockage. They may find the part of your unit that is clogged and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge.

Now some techs will come in and try to install whats called a 3 n 1 start device. There is one problem with that part even if it starts the compressor, its not going to last long. That device is designed for compressors that have a start winding in the motor built to be started with a capacitor. Your compressor is not designed that way, you have an energy effeceint compressor which is desiged to have a run capacitor, not a start capacitor. So just so you know if you see a tech installing a black cylinder looking object about 5 inches long with 5 wires on it thats what he is doing.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.