gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

IHAVE A FRIGIDAIRE PLEF489CCG AND THE BOTTOM ELEMENT WONT HEAT

Customer Question

THE TOP ELEMENT GETS WARM BUT NO ABOVE 185 BOT ELEMENTS HAVE THE SAME POWER BUT BOTTOM WONT HEAT THE CONTINUITY IS GOOD BUT NO WAY TO TEST THE AMP LOAD
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

hi

gst85 :

what will it shut off after it gets to 185?

Customer :

hello

Customer :

no it won't go above 185

gst85 :

ok will it shut off?.or just stays at 185?

Customer :

it just stays at 185

Customer :

both elements are receiving the same voltage and the bottom won't heat but the top will heat slowly but won't go above 185

Customer :

the continuity is the same on both elements

gst85 :

ok now this can only be two things that would cause this.one is the temperature sensore that is no faulty.or the actual oven control board

gst85 :

this is usually the temperature sensor.i recommend that it be replaced

Customer :

how do you check the sensor

Customer :

i will try it on broil to see if it the sensor

gst85 :

ok take your time.

Customer :

the broil gets hotter if you turn the oven on you can here the contactors turning on and off but the bottom element wont heat at all

gst85 :

ok how you tested the heater element for continuity?

Customer :

both elements are getting the same voltage but the top cycles between 110 on one leg to 110 on both the bottom pretty much stays at 110 on both legs

Customer :

yes both have continuity

gst85 :

but wont get past 185 correct?

Customer :

my wit said it got to 225 after being on for 1.5 to 2 hours

Customer :

Wife

gst85 :

ok i would say to replace the temperture sensor

gst85 :

if you going to replace it yourself i can provide you with a part number if youd like?

gst85 :

are you still with me?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

it says 17% of the time its the temp sensor and 72% of the time it is the heating element is there any way to check the element

gst85 :

are you using a digital multi meter?

Customer :

no its at work but i can bring it home thursday

gst85 :

you should receive 1000 t0 1100 ohms of resistance

Customer :

ok will have to wait and check that

gst85 :

check the temperature sensore as well

gst85 :

that would be it.good luck to you

gst85 :

if i have been heloful pressing accept is how i get paid.

gst85 :

helpful

gst85 :

do you have any other questions for me?

gst85 :

are you still out there?

gst85 :

im not sure what happened.im going to stepoff this chat for the night.remember to press accept before you go