Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

How do I replace the heater element on a kitchenaid dishwasher

Customer Question

How do I replace the heater element on a kitchenaid dishwasher model # XXXXX?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. This is pretty easy but you have to remove the dishwasher from the cabinets so you can remove the nuts that hold the element on. Once the dishwasher is removed look at the back under the tub. You will see 2 nuts that hold the element on. Remove the wires from the element and remove the nuts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The actual problem is that the "clean light" blinks 7 times and something I read said that is likely the problem. Do you have any suggestions? Would that be you guess or is more testing needed to confirm?

Thanks,

Jeff
ok you need to reset the control board. Press "high temp wash, heated dry, High temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash"

All the lights will go solid at which point you press cancel to reset the board.

**NOTE** if you don't have a "heated dry" button, use the "air dry" or "energy saver dry" button instead.

If the control board doesn't reset, you'll need to order and replace the board because it's just shorted. Below is a link to the control board you'd need to order along with a video that will show you how to replace the control board if you wanted to do it yourself (it's a very easy process).

CLICK HERE FOR PART

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I tried the steps to reset and it did not work. Are you fairly certain that if I go ahead and replace the control board that it will take care of the problem? And you said it should be easy to do?
Yes you need to replace the control board. It is pretty easy to do. The control board is located in the door.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just went to order the electronic control board that you told me to get and they said it's the wrong part number for my Kitchenaid dishwasher KUDIO1ILBS6. You said to order part #8564546 and it apparently does not match up. What's up?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did anyone answer?
yes sorry. Yours dishwasher needs part #8564542
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Considering you gave me the wrong part number, (which would have cost an unreturnable $130 after trying to install) can I expect this is going to take care of my problem?? Not feeling real confident at this point!
Yea this will fix the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can you please also send me the install video for this correct part number? thanks.
It the same.