Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a new GTH21KBXBB refrigerator in an unheated garage.

I have a new GTH21KBXBB refrigerator in an unheated garage. It is not working when the ambient temperature is low.

Can I insulate the exterior surfaces using rigid styrofoam panels or in some otherway keep it working? My son has purchased and installed something on his Frigidair refrigerator and it is working for him. Is something similar available for this GE model refrigerator?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Probably what your son did is install kit number(NNN) NNN-NNNNCLICK HERE. What that does is keep the thermostat warm so the refrigerator will run and cool at temperatures below 50 degrees. This part is made for a frigidaire and GE does not make one. Give me a few minutes to look at the setup and style you have.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Read the post above ^^^^^ You have the same setup your son has, well at least the parts are the same type of parts. You have a mechanical thermostat and timer which is important as far as worrying about blowing a board. You have no boards. What I would do if I were you is to go over and look at what he has setup. Then take a look at yours, I am not 100% sure it will work for you but I can tell you that it is the type of setup as far as the parts in your unit go that this type of part may work with.

The styrofoam will not work. Eventually its going to get cold, what you need is the fresh food thermostat to sense some warmth so the compressor gets some run time. Thats whats causing the thawing in the freezer because the fresh food is cold enough to not trip the thermostat. The whole key is to warm that thermostat arrowed in the diagram just below. Thats in the fresh food section and that part is attached to the knob.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Barry,

I understand the concept.

I have a question though. By creating an artificial demand for the compressor to run, will the compressor not overload? I am thinking here of the refrigerant fluid's liquid versus gasious state.

Thanks again

Sandor

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The coolant does not change from gas to liquid or liquid to a gas because of the temperature, it changes due to the pressure increase when compressed. Then from there its squeezed through a tiny tube. At the end of that tube its sprays out into a much larger tube in the freezer and that decreases the pressure, causes the cold and turns the liquid to a gas again.

Yes it is harder on the compressor but on the other hand it does not run as much either. Thats the only way your going to be able to get enough run time to keep things in the freezer frozen.

I hope I helped Sandor, I really appreciated the opportunity.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.