Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I have an 18" portable Danby Dishwasher. It pumps water out

I have an 18" portable Danby Dishwasher. It pumps water out but no longer recirculates the water to the wash cycle. This was caused by using the wrong soap causing over sudsing. Is there something I can do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Does it hum?

Repairman1981 :

The bubbles alone will NOT cause the pump to fail

Customer:

Yes, it still hums.

Repairman1981 :

And you get nothing pumping?

Repairman1981 :

If you get no pumping it's likely just something stuck in it and coincidence with the bubbles

Repairman1981 :

there is NO way bubbles caused a pump to lock up

Customer:

I can get water pumping out into the sink, but there is no spray inside..

Customer:

ok, what area is the clog likely to occur?

Repairman1981 :

Right at the impeller

Repairman1981 :

Lemme see if I can find a diagram for you to help

Customer:

that would be great.

Repairman1981 :

Ok, I'm posting a diagram but it's HORRIBLE!!!! This is all they have available unfortunately

Repairman1981 :

Full Size Image

Repairman1981 :

The pump is 46

Repairman1981 :

The impeller in the pump would be the issue

Repairman1981 :

It could POSSIBLY the an issue if there was soooo much soap it dried and clogged the pump

Repairman1981 :

Your probably gonna have to get to the bottom and actually PULL the pump to get to the impeller

Repairman1981 :

You won't be able to reach it inside

Customer:

I can work with it.. What is be best way to access this - from the back or under?

Repairman1981 :

under

Repairman1981 :

I doubt you can get to it easily from the back

Repairman1981 :

If your VERY nimble maybe

Customer:

Under it is...

Repairman1981 :

I'm happy to try and help further, but I will be honest unless you post a picture for me to go by the diagram is soo crappy I probably won't be much help

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX at it tomorrow and if I can't do it I'll find someone who can. It's nice to have a target to look at.

Repairman1981 :

That humming is the motor trying to turn the impeller

Repairman1981 :

If you get it moving by hand you will be fine, if not you can order that part from www.searspartsdirect.com and replace it

Customer:

that's a good sign!

Repairman1981 :

You shouldn't have to hire someone if you can get to it and are reasonably handy

Customer:

GREAT!

Repairman1981 :

Lemme know if you need anything else on this one, please remember to leave feedback after clicking accept, and if you do need more assistance return to THIS SAME QUESTION don't open a new one and there are no further charges

Repairman1981 :

Thanks!

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands